Profiles extension data can be represented as follows:
- A single plain text value. Identified as type="text/plain."
- Multiple values defined by an XML schema. Identified as type="text/xml."
The links for working with custom extensions are found in the <feed> element of the Profiles user feed. The <link rel="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/prod/sn/ext-attr" > element appears once in the feed for each custom extension defined for a profile.
Note: No custom extensions links are available from the links in the <entry> element of the feed that contains the user's profile.
Note: When you update an extension, all existing information will be replaced with the new data. To avoid deleting existing data, follow the instructions in this topic to retrieve any data you want to retain first, and send it back with this request. See the topic Updating profile extension data for more information.
To retrieve a profile extension, complete the following steps:
1. Get the person's user feed. See Searching for a user's profile.
2. Get the URI of the extension resource which is specified in the href attribute of the <link> element in the user's user feed that has a rel="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/prod/sn/ext-attr" attribute and a snx:extensionId attribute that matches the extension you want to retrieve.
3. Send a GET request to the web address specified in the href attribute.