A Profiles extension can be represented as follows:
- A single plain text value. Identified as type="text/plain."
- Multiple values defined by an XML schema. Identified as type="text/xml."
The links for working with custom extensions are found in the <feed> element of the Profiles user feed. The <link rel="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/prod/sn/ext-attr" > element appears once in the feed for each custom extension defined for a profile.
Note: No custom extensions links are available from the links in the <entry> element of the feed that contains the user's profile.
You can only update the extensions for the profile of the user whose credentials you used to authenticate with the server.
Note: When you update an extension, all existing information will be replaced with the new data. To avoid deleting existing data, retrieve any data you want to retain first, and send it back with this request. See the topic Retrieving profile extension data for more details.
To update the data defined for custom fields added to a profile, complete the following steps:
- Get the person's user feed. See Searching for a user's profile.
- Get the URI of the extension resource which is specified in the href attribute of the <link> element in the user's user feed that has a rel="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/prod/sn/ext-attr" attribute and a snx:extensionId attribute that matches the extension you want to update.
- Send a PUT request to the web address specified in the href attribute.
For the input of this operation you need to specify the content type of a simple extension, set the type equal to "text/plain" and provide the updated extension data as the content of the request. To specify the content type of a complex extension, set type equal to "text/xml" and, in the content of the request, provide the updated extension data specified as an XML document formatted according to the schema defined for the profiles custom extension that you are updating.
For IBM Connections Cloud, the following fields have limits:
phone1, phone2, phone3 - 64 characters
address1, address2, address3, address4 - 500 characters
item1, item2, item3, item4, item5, item6, item7, item8, item9, item10 - 1000 characters