In the exercise Enabling instant messaging for your company in IBM SmartCloud Notes
, you enabled the service's
instant messaging community for your company. This action causes settings to be pushed down to the IBM Notes
client so that if someone is using the Notes
client to access their IBM SmartCloud Notes
) mail, the client configuration is updated to automatically log into instant messaging using Single Sign-On (SSO). The user will not have to enter a password to use the IBM Sametime
instant messaging community.
Although SmartCloud Notes
works with the Notes
client version 8.5.1 Fix Pack 5 or higher, SSO with the IBM Connections Cloud
services requires version 8.5.2.x or 8.5.3.x of the IBM Notes
If someone is a SmartCloud Notes
web mail user, they will use a browser to access their mail. Instant messaging is embedded in the SmartCloud Notes
web browser interface, where instant messaging is automatically configured to log into the instant messaging community enabled by the company administrator. The default community is the service's
instant messaging community. Alternatively, an on-premises IBM Sametime
community may be configured.
In this exercise, you will examine the instant messaging settings that are pushed down to the Notes
client when you want to use the service instant messaging feature, and observe instant messaging embedded in the SmartCloud Notes
Using both the service instant messaging community and an on-premises IBM Sametime
community is not a supported configuration.
In this exercise, you will:
- Configure the service instant messaging community in the IBM Notes client sidebar.
- Enable and locate the service instant messaging embedded in the SmartCloud Notes web client.
Parent topic: Advanced Topics - Instant Messaging
Previous topic: Installing IBM Sametime for use with instant messaging in IBM SmartCloud Notes
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Seamless authentication for Connections Cloud users accessing the IBM Connections Cloud services integrated in the IBM Notes client.
Procedure A: Configure the service instant messaging community in the IBM Notes client sidebar
- When the service instant messaging community is enabled for your company using the IBM SmartCloud Notes Administration panel, there is nothing else that the company administrator or the end user needs to do for the service instant messaging community to work in the Notes client sidebar. Reminder: You enable the service instant messaging community for your company by selecting Enable the service instant messaging community for Lotus Notes and SmartCloud Notes web users under Lotus Notes -> Instant Messaging.
- Observe the Account that is automatically pushed down from the service to the Notes client when the user next logs in. It allows you to automatically log into Sametime after authenticating with a SmartCloud Notes mail server. In the IBM Notes client, click File -> Preferences -> Accounts.
- Open the Account document by double-clicking the SameTime Account entry:
- Observe the Sametime icon in the sidebar of the Notes client:
- Open the sidebar by clicking the arrow at the edge of the sidebar:
Add new contacts by clicking the arrow next to the symbol for New (person). You will be able to add contacts for anyone in your company's directory:
- The user is automatically logged in to the service instant messaging community because of the Single Sign-On account for the user.
- The user is not prompted for any password to access the service instant messaging feature integrated in the sidebar.
Type in the name of someone in your organization, then click Lookup.
Procedure B: Enable instant messaging in SmartCloud Notes web
- From your web browser log into the service and enter your user name and password.
- Click Mail from the service dashboard to access your Inbox, then click More -> Preferences.
- Click Basics from the navigator on the left.
- Under Instant messaging, select Enable instant messaging, then click Save & Close.
- Locate the Sametime instant messaging icon in the sidebar on the left. The user is automatically logged into the instant messaging community that was enabled by the Administrator.
The instant messaging community might be the service instant messaging community or it may be an on-premises IBM Sametime
community managed by your company. Dual communities are not a supported configuration.
Each time the user logs into Connections CloudNotes
, instant messaging will be available without an additional login.
Are all users entitled to instant messaging, or is a subscription needed?
The service instant messaging feature comes with the Connections Cloud Notes subscription.
I want to exclude some users from the service instant messaging community for my company. Is this possible?
No. When the service instant messaging is enabled for your company, it is enabled for everyone and you cannot prevent users from using it.
I don't have Sametime Instant messaging in my Notes client sidebar. How can I get it?
If my SmartCloud Notes password changes, what do I need to do to continue using instant messaging?
If you are using Sametime instant messaging integrated with the IBM Notes client or with SmartCloud Notes web, you do not need to do anything. Once logged into the Notes client or logged into the service, if you are using SmartCloud Notes web, you will be signed into the service nstant messaging community automatically.