IBM SmartCloud Notes
) users can chat with each other through instant messaging embedded in SmartCloud Notes
web and in the IBM Notes
client sidebar. This capability is enabled by default in SmartCloud Notes
web; however, the IBM Notes
client must be installed with the "Sametime
(Integrated)" option selected.
Before users can chat, the company administrator must enable an instant messaging community for your company. In SmartCloud Notes
, company administrators have the option to use the default IBM SmartCloud
messaging community (also referred to as the service instant messaging community), or an on-premises IBM Sametime
messaging community, managed by your company.
Use the procedure below to enable or disable instant messaging for your company and choose the instant messaging community to use.
In this exercise, you will:
- Use the IBM SmartCloud Notes Administration panel to enable the service instant messaging community for your company.
Parent topic: Advanced Topics - Instant Messaging
Next topic: Installing IBM Sametime for use with instant messaging in IBM SmartCloud Notes
|Instant Messaging||Instant messaging is a form of real-time direct text-based communication between two or more people using computers or other devices, along with shared software clients. The user's text is conveyed over a network, such as the Internet.|
- Log onto the service using the e-mail address and password of a user with the Administrator role.
- If your account also has the User role, click Administration -> Manage Organization at the top of the dashboard.
- From the left navigation pane, click Lotus Notes -> Account Settings.
- Under Account Settings, click Instant Messaging.
- Select Enable the service instant messaging community for Lotus Notes and SmartCloud Notes web users . Click Save.
You cannot enable both messaging communities for your company.
To learn more about the Instant Messaging Integration choices, see the Admin Help topic, Configuring instant messaging
|The company administrator ensures that Enable the service instant messaging community for Lotus Notes and SmartCloud Notes web users is selected in the Account Settings. However, the IBM Notes client users do not see IBM Sametime in the Notes client sidebar.||While the steps in this exercise enable the service instant messaging community for use in the SmartCloud Notes web and the IBM Notes client sidebar, each IBM Notes client must be installed with the "Sametime (Integrated)" feature.|