Exercise 1.3: Verifying Access to Passthru ServerAdded by IBM on September 20, 2013 | Version 1
|Configure the IBM® Domino® Administrator client to manage the Passthru server, and confirm connectivity.
Once the IBM Domino
Passthru Server is set up as part of the IBM SmartCloud
® (SmartCloud Notes
) configuration, and then started (as outlined in the previous exercise Exercise 1.2: Configuring the Passthru Server
), your IBM Domino
Administrator client can be configured to manage the Passthru server on-premises. During this process, connectivity to the server is verified.
In this exercise, you will:
Parent topic: Configuring IBM Domino Environment
Previous topic: Exercise 1.2: Configuring the Passthru Server
Next topic: Exercise 1.4: Generate an OU Certifier Required for IBM SmartCloud Notes Configuration
- Configure the IBM Domino Administrator client to manage the Passthru server.
- Confirm connectivity to the Passthru server.
Make sure both the Passthru and Hub Domino
servers are running.
- From the IBM Domino Administrator client, add the new Passthru domain. Using a Notes ID with Administrator access, right-click the Domain's icon on the bookmark bar in the upper left. Select Preferences.
If you do not see your company's domain icon, select File
-> Administration Preferences
and follow steps 2 & 3 below to add a Domain icon.
- On the Administration Preferences dialog, select New.
- In the Add Domain dialog, type the name of the Domino passthru domain (same as in Step 5 in the previous Exercise 1.2: Configuring the Passthru Server). Also, type in the hierarchical name of the Domino Passthru server. Select OK.
- Confirm the settings. Select OK.
If this step succeeds, then you have verified connectivity to the Passthru server.
- The bookmark bar will now contain an additional Domains icon. Hover over the lower icon to display the domain name for the Passthru server.
- Click the top Domains icon and select the Domino on-premises Hub server. Click X to close the tab.
- Select the People & Groups tab. Highlight the People view to display the person records in the right pane. Select the person record of the Domino domain administrator. (This is the existing administrator that we browsed to in Step 6 of the previous Exercise 1.2: Configuring the Passthru Server. Open the person record to the Basics tab and record the values for the following fields: Domain, Mail Server, Mail File.
- Click the Domains icon and the new Passthru server name will display. Select the server name and select X to close this tab.
- With the Passthru server in context, select the People & Groups tab and click People. This view will contain a single person record which is the administrator.
- Open this person record, go into Edit mode and replace the values found in the fields Domain, Mail server, and Mail file with the values recorded in step 7. Save the changes.
Example of original values from the person record on the Passthru server.
Example of values once they have been changed to match those from the Hub & Mail servers.
Vijay's mail file resides on LLnTrain-Hub-2/LLNTrain2, rather than a mail server.
- The Passthru server is now ready for use within a SmartCloud Hybrid environment.
|When attempting to connect to the Passthru server (step 4), you get an error similar to this: Unable to retrieve list of servers from ... Unable to find path to server.||Check that your network connection to the Passthru server is working. Go to Preferences -> Notes Ports and select Trace to discover where the connection fails.|
|When attempting to connect to the Passthru server (step 4), you are prompted to cross certify with the Passthru organization and receive a subsequent error: Server error: The server's Domino Directory does not contain any cross certificates capable of authenticating you.||Confirm that you used the correct existing certifier in step 4 of the previous exercise Exercise 1.2: Configuring the Passthru Server. |