Exercise 2.10: Managing the password for a user's Lotus Notes user IDAdded by IBM on August 30, 2012 | Version 1
|The company administrator can change the SmartCloud user's Lotus® Notes® client password in the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel.
The company administrator can change the SmartCloud user's Lotus
® client password in the SmartCloud Notes
™ for Social Business (SmartCloud for Social Business) users can access their e-mail using a Web browser or a Lotus Notes
client. When accessing their e-mail using the Lotus Notes
client, users are authenticated by the password on their Lotus Notes
User ID. When accessing their e-mail using a Web browser, users are authenticated by a Web password.
The company administrator can change the IBM SmartCloud Notes
) user's Lotus Notes
client password in the SmartCloud Notes
Administration panel. In this exercise, you will learn how to reset the password on a user's Lotus Notes
In this exercise, you will:
- Reset a user's Lotus Notes ID password used with the Lotus Notes client to access the SmartCloud Notes mail.
- Set the password expiration date for Lotus Notes IDs
Parent topic: Managing IBM SmartCloud Notes user accounts
Previous topic: Exercise 2.9: Changing a user's mail template
Next topic: Exercise 2.11: Understanding Notes ID recovery in SmartCloud Notes
|Lotus Notes password||The password that a user enters when logging in to the Lotus Notes Client.|
Important: While a user can set this password to be the same as the password that they use when logging on to SmartCloud Notes through a Web browser, these are two separate passwords that are not synchronized.
|Lotus Notes User ID||The Lotus Notes User ID is used when logging in to the Lotus Notes Client. This User ID is usually located in the Lotus Notes data directory and can be recognized by the extension .id, for example LLN_tamado_012111092744.id.|
|SmartCloud Web password||The password that an end user enters when logging onto the service, https://www.ibmcloud.com/social using a Web browser.|
Important: While a user can set this password to be the same as the password that they use when logging in to IBM SmartCloud for Social Business through a Lotus Notes Client, these are two separate passwords that are not synchronized.
Procedure A - Reset the password for users' Notes IDs
- Log on to the service using the e-mail address and password of a SmartCloud Notes user with the Administrator role.
- If your account also has the User role, click Administration -> Manage Organization at the top of the dashboard.
- From the left navigation pane, click Lotus Notes.
- Click Users.
- Click the link for the user whose password needs to be reset.
- In the Available actions for this user section, click Reset Lotus Notes Password.
- Enter a new password for the user. The password must be at least eight characters in length.
- Click Save.
- Provide the new temporary password to the user in a way that complies with your company security policies. The user will authenticate with the SmartCloud Notes server in the Lotus Notes client using the password, and will then be prompted immediately to change the password to a new value known only to the user, as shown in the next steps of this exercise.
Important: The user must log in to the Lotus Notes client within five days of the password reset. If the user waits longer than 5 days after the password is reset before logging in to a SmartCloud Notes server and downloading the updated ID to the Lotus Notes client, they will receive an error and the password will need to be reset again.
- The next time the user launches Lotus Notes, the user should use the new password. After entering the password, the user will be prompted that their password has been reset, at which time the user should click OK.
- The user will be prompted to enter a new password, which is required to be at least 8 characters.
- The user should click OK after entering the new password.
The user can then begin using Lotus Notes
. The other passwords will no longer work for the user when logging in using the Lotus Notes
The user's Web password (used for logging in to SmartCloud Notes
from a browser) is still the same as it was before the Lotus Notes
password was reset.
Procedure B - setting Notes ID expiration
- Click Lotus Notes in the SmartCloud Notes Administration navigation pane, and then click Account Settings.
- In the navigation pane, click Password Expiration.
- Click Enable password expiration for Lotus Notes clients then enter a value for the number of days in which a password will expire.
For more information about this feature see the Admin help topic, Setting password expiration for Notes IDs. For more information about this feature see the Admin help topic, Setting password expiration for Notes IDs.
- Click Save.
|A user whose password was reset more than 5 days ago receives one of the following error messages: |
The 5-day limit on downloading a SmartCloud Notes ID or new password from the ID vault has expired. Contact your SmartCloud company administrator for help.
ID in vault has expired download time.
|The user will see this error if more than 5 days has lapsed between when the Company administrator reset the Lotus Notes password and the user logs onto SmartCloud Notes and downloads the updated ID to the Lotus Notes client.|
To resolve the error message, perform the password reset again and ensure that the user downloads the updated ID within 5 days.
|The new password does not work when logging on to Lotus Notes.||There are two separate passwords used when accessing the service through a Web browser and a Lotus Notes client.|
To reset the password that a user enters when logging on to the Lotus Notes Client go to the Lotus Notes section of the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel. Click Users, and then click the user's name. Click Reset Lotus Notes Password. Enter the new password in the new password and verify password fields. Then click Save. The user can now use the new password to log on to the Lotus Notes client.
This process does not affect the password used when the user logs on to the service using a Web browser.
|The new password does not work when logging on to the service||There are two separate passwords used when accessing the service through a Web browser and a Lotus Notes client.|
To reset the password that a user enters when logging on to the service using a Web browser:
The user can now use the new password to log on to the service
- Go to the User Accounts section of the SmartCloud Notes Administration page.
- Click the arrow next to the user's name, and select Reset Password.
- Enter a password in the Reset password to and Confirm password fields.
- Click OK
Refer to Exercise 2.12: Resetting the Web password for a SmartCloud Notes user for more detailed information.
This process does not affect the user's Lotus Notes password.
|A user has forgotten the password that they use to log on to the Lotus Notes Client. Where do you reset this password?||In the Users section of the IBM SmartCloud Notes Administrator panel.|
|A user has forgotten the password that they use to log onto https://www.ibmcloud.com/social. Where do you reset this password?||In the User Accounts section of the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business Administrator panel.|
Refer to the following resources for more information: