Exercise 2.17: Enabling IMAP Email AccessAdded by IBM on September 26, 2013 | Version 1
|In this exercise, you will enable IMAP access for your IBM SmartCloud® Notes® users.
As of August 2012 IBM SmartCloud Notes
introduces support for IMAP email clients. Users can use external email programs to view and send IBM SmartCloud Notes
mail, by using IMAP access. By default, IMAP is disabled; you enable it when you complete your Account Settings
. Configuration information that is needed to set up IMAP access for external email clients is provided to end users when they choose IMAP as the method they want to use to connect to SmartCloud Notes
. It includes:
- Incoming IMAP mail server information, including host name, user name, and password.
- Outgoing SMTP mail server information, including host name, user name, and password.
- The account name.
- The email address and password that will be used to log in to the SmartCloud for Social Business website.
After you enable IMAP access, service users can configure their mail clients for IMAP access using information provided by the service. The following IMAP clients are supported:
- Apple email
- Microsoft™ Outlook 2003, 2007
- Mozilla Thunderbird
In this exercise, you will:
Parent topic: Lesson 2: Administering IBM SmartCloud Notes
Previous topic: Exercise 2.16: Setting the Notes link style
- Configure IMAP access for IBM SmartCloud Notes users.
Procedure A: Administrator configuration
- Log in to the service using the e-mail address and password of an IBM SmartCloud Notes user with the Administrator role.
- If your user account also has the User role, click Administration -> Manage Organization at the top of the dashboard. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Click Lotus Notes.
- Click Account Settings.
- From the left navigation pane, click IMAP Email Access.
- Select Enable IMAP for all users:
- Enable IMAP for all users. If you select this option, you do not need to complete any further steps.
- Enable IMAP for specific users only. If you select this option, you have enabled IMAP access for your organization. Continue to the next step to customize your on-premises Domino® Directory so that you can specify IMAP access for individual users.
- Disable IMAP for all users. If you select this option, no users have IMAP access.
- From the Domino Administrator client open the Domino Directory, on an on-premises Domino server whose directory you synchronize with the service. For each user you want to specify IMAP access, edit the Person document and add one of the following text items:
- SaaSAllowIMAP=2 to allow IMAP access. If you later change access from specific users to all users, no additional steps are needed to allow these users to continue to have access.
- SaaSAllowIMAP=3 to deny IMAP access. A user who is denied access using this value will be denied access under all circumstances. If you later change access from specific users to all users, this user will continue to have no access.
- Result: If you enabled IMAP for all users, then service users can set up their IMAP clients for IMAP access to SmartCloud Notes mail. If you added the text item to the Domino Directory, during directory synchronization, the servers in the service are updated with the new information. Users cannot enable IMAP access and set up their IMAP mail clients until the synchronization is complete.
Procedure B: End-user configuration
- Log on to the service using the e-mail address and password of an IBM SmartCloud Notes end-user.
- Click on Apps -> Downloads and Setup.
- Click View IBM SmartCloud Notes options
- Under How would you like to use SmartCloud Notes, select With an IMAP mail client
- Select the option Enable IMAP Access now.
- Configure your IMAP client with the settings provided.
Note: IMAP client limitations
The following restrictions apply to folders used with IMAP:
- There is a maximum of five levels of folders.
- Non-ASCII characters in a folder name are encoded using base64 with UTF-7.
- The service does not support the use of return receipts with IMAP clients. If users request a return receipt and the recipient opens the message using the IBM® Notes or IBM SmartCloud Notes web client, no return receipt is generated.