Exercise 2.2: Suspending and unsuspending a userAdded by IBM on September 26, 2013 | Version 1
|In this exercise, you will learn how to suspend and unsuspend a user's account.
When an account is suspended, it still exists, but is not active. You may want to suspend a user's account if they are on an extended absence from the company. When you suspend a user account, delegates of the suspended user's mail file continue to have access to the mail file.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
Parent topic: Lesson 2: Administering IBM SmartCloud Notes
Previous topic: Exercise 2.1: Deleting a User
Next topic: Exercise 2.3: Editing a user's account
- Suspend and unsuspend a IBM SmartCloud® Notes® (SmartCloud Notes) user's account.
- Log into the service and navigate to the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel. For detailed steps, see the procedure document Accessing the SmartCloud Notes Administration pages.
- From the left navigation pane, click User Accounts.
- Click the arrow next to the name of the user whose account you would like to suspend. The user's account must be active. You cannot suspend an account that is still in a "Pending" state.
- Select Suspend Account.
- You will be prompted with a confirmation window. If you are sure that you want to suspend the user, click Suspend.
- Confirm that the user's status now shows as "Suspended" on the User Accounts tab.
- If you later decide to undo the suspension, navigate to User Accounts, and then click on the arrow next to the user's name. Select Unsuspend Account.
- You will prompted with a confirmation window. Click Unsuspend to complete the operation.
- Verify that the user's status has changed to "Active".
- Result: The user will now be able to log into SmartCloud for Social Business with the same login name and password that was used prior to the suspension of the account.
What happens when a user is suspended?
When a user's account is suspended:
- The user is not listed in the Company Directory.
- The user's mail subscription is still recognized as being "in use" by SmartCloud Notes, and is not made available for use by another user.
- If someone, either internal or external to the company, attempts to send the user an e-mail while they are in a suspended status, the sender will receive a delivery failure indicating that the user account is not active:
- If the user attempts to log into the service through a Web browser, the user will receive a message indicating that the account is suspended:
If the user attempts to log in to the service through a IBM
Client, the user will be able to enter his/her password, but will receive a message in the status bar of the IBM Notes
Client indicating that the account is locked when the user opens his/her mail file:
The status bar appears at the bottom of the IBM Notes
The user may also receive a message that the file does not exist, however this message can be disregarded. The user's mail file still exists on the mail server and will be available when the user is unsuspended:
Refer to the following resources for more information: