Exercise 2.5: Managing the password for a User's IBM Notes User IDAdded by IBM | Edited by Sally Cripe on June 2, 2015 | Version 2
|In this exercise, you will learn how to reset the password on a user's IBM® Notes® User ID, which is used when accessing SmartCloud Notes using the IBM Notes Client.
users can access their e-mail using a Web browser or an IBM Notes
Client. When accessing their e-mail using the Notes
Client, users are authenticated by the password on their IBM Notes
User ID. When accessing their e-mail using a Web browser, users are authenticated by a Web password.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Reset the password for a user's IBM Notes ID, used when accessing IBM SmartCloud® Notes (SmartCloud Notes) mail using the IBM Notes Client.
- Set the password expiration date for IBM Notes IDs
Parent topic: Lesson 2: Administering IBM SmartCloud Notes
Previous topic: Exercise 2.4: Changing a user's mail template
Next topic: Exercise 2.6: Understanding Notes ID recovery in IBM SmartCloud Notes
IBM Notes User ID
The IBM Notes User ID is used when logging in to the IBM Notes Client. This User ID is usually located in the IBM Notes data directory and can be recognized by the extension .id, for example LLN_tamado_012111092744.id.
IBM Notes password
The password that a user enters when logging in to the IBM Notes Client.
Important: Password synchronization is possible in one direction; web password -->Notes ID password. To learn about this feature, read "Enabling Password Synchronization" in the SmartCloud Notes online documentation.
IBM SmartCloud for Social Business Web password
The password that an end user enters when logging in to IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business, https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
using a Web browser.
While a user can set this password to be the same as the password that they use when logging in to SmartCloud Notes
through a IBM Notes
Client, these are two separate passwords that are not synchronized.
Procedure A - Reset the password for users' Notes IDs
- Log into the service and navigate to the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel. For detailed steps, see the procedure document Accessing the SmartCloud Notes Administration pages.
- From the left navigation pane, click Lotus Notes.
- Click Users.
- Click the link for the user whose password needs to be reset.
- In the Available actions for this user section, click Reset Lotus Notes Password.
- Enter a new password for the user. The password must be at least eight characters in length.
- Click Save.
- Provide the new password to the user in a way that complies with your company security policies. The user will authenticate with their home mail server in service using their IBM Notes Client using the password, and will then be prompted immediately to change the password to a new value known only to the user, as shown in the next steps of this exercise.
Important: The user must log in to the IBM Notes Client within five days of the password reset. If the user waits longer than 5 days after the password is reset before logging in to a SmartCloud Notes server and downloading the updated ID to the IBM Notes Client, they will receive an error and the password will need to be reset again.
- The next time the user launches IBM Notes, the user should use the new password. After entering the password, the user will be prompted that their password has been reset.
Click OK.Click OK.
- The user will be prompted to enter a new password, which is required to be at least 8 characters.
- The user should click OK after entering the new password.
The user can then begin using IBM Notes. The other passwords will no longer work for the user when logging in using the IBM Notes Client.The user can then begin using IBM Notes. The other passwords will no longer work for the user when logging in using the IBM Notes Client.
Procedure B - setting Notes ID expiration
- Click Lotus® Notes in the SmartCloud Notes Administration navigation pane, and then click Account Settings.
- In the navigation pane, click Password Expiration.
- Click Enable password expiration for Lotus Notes clients then enter a value for the number of days in which a password will expire.
For more information about this feature see the Admin help topic, http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/bhwiki.nsf/dx/Setting_password_expiration_for_Lotus_Notes_IDs_SO" target="external">Setting password expiration for Notes IDs. For more information about this feature see the Admin help topic, http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/bhwiki.nsf/dx/Setting_password_expiration_for_Lotus_Notes_IDs_SO" target="external">Setting password expiration for Notes IDs.
- Click Save.
A user whose password was reset more than 5 days ago receives one of the following error messages:
The 5-day limit on downloading a Notes ID or new password from the ID vault has expired. Contact your on premise company administrator for help.
ID in vault has expired download time.
The user will see this error if more than 5 days has lapsed between when the Administrator reset the Notes password and the user logs onto SmartCloud Notes and downloads the updated ID to the IBM Notes client.
To resolve the error message, perform the password reset again and ensure that the user downloads the updated ID within 5 days.
The new password doesn't work when logging on to IBM Notes.
There are two separate passwords used when accessing SmartCloud Notes
through a Web browser and an IBM Notes
To reset the password that a user enters when logging on to the IBM Notes
Client go to the Lotus Notes
section of the Administrator dashboard. Click Users, and then click the user's name. Click Reset Lotus Notes
Password. Enter the new password in the new password
and verify password
fields. Then click Save
. The user can now use the new password to log on to the Notes
This process does not
affect the password used when the user logs on to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
using a Web browser.
A user has forgotten the password that they use to log on to the IBM Notes Client. Where do you reset this password?
In the Lotus Notes -> Users section of the IBM SmartCloud Notes Administration Panel.
In the User Accounts section of the IBM SmartCloud Notes Administration Panel
Refer to the following resources for more information: