In a IBM SmartCloud
) Hybrid configuration, the process to remove a user from the SmartCloud Notes
environment is performed by the company administrator. There are two options for removing a user from SmartCloud Notes
. The first option is to remove the user's SmartCloud Notes
subscription from the IBM Connections
Cloud (Connections Cloud) service; this is the recommended option. The second is to completely delete the Connections Cloud user account. Both methods are supported.
Company administrator wants to convert user's mail file from SmartCloud Notes service to on-premises Domino® environment
- Company administrator removes SmartCloud Notes Mail subscription.
- Company administrator manually edits the user's on-premises Domino Person document to point to the on-premises Domino mail server and mail file for the user.
- Some company administrators may want a user to try the SmartCloud Notes service for short time, and have the option to move the user's account back to on-premises (for example, if they are doing initial testing).
- Once a user's account is converted to on-premises, some company administrators want the option of moving the account back to the service in the future.
- User may or may not have other Connections Cloud subscriptions that need to be kept active.
- If an administrator reinstates the subscription within 30 days of removing it, the user regains access to the original mail file and Notes ID
- If, after the conversion of a user account to on-premises, a company administrator chooses to move the user account back to SmartCloud Notes ("re-provision"), they have the option to provision the user either without data migration or with data migration (moving the mail file into the service). Data migration is purchased as an optional service.
Company administrator wants to remove user's mail file from SmartCloud Notes service and does not want to preserve mail file or leave any other Connections Cloud subscriptions active,
- Company administrator uses the Delete User Account menu in Connections Cloud User Accounts.
- Company administrator deletes the user in the on-premises Domino Directory, removing the Person document, etc.
- This case is applicable, for example, if the user has left the company.
- Deleting a user's account should be done only if the user has no other Connections Cloud subscriptions that need to be kept active and the company administrator does not want the option to reinstate the user's SmartCloud Notes subscription.
- When you delete a user account, all subscriptions, such as Connections Cloud S1 will also be removed, and the user's data will be lost.
There are two procedures in this document. Procedure A below corresponds to Use Case 1, where the company administrator removes the user's SmartCloud Notes
subscription and converts the user's data from the SmartCloud Notes
environment to the IBM
on-premises environment. Procedure B corresponds to Use Case 2, where the company administrator deletes the Connections Cloud account, which includes removal of the SmartCloud Notes
subscription and any other Connections Cloud subscriptions the user has. Decide on the use case that best fits your goal, and execute the corresponding procedure. Do not perform both procedures.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Cite the difference between removing a user's SmartCloud Notes subscription and deleting a Connections Cloud user account.
- Remove a user's SmartCloud Notes subscription.
- Delete a user's Connections Cloud user account.
IBM Connections Cloud user account
An account that allows a customer to access IBMConnections Cloud and subscribe to several services including, but not limited to SmartCloud Notes, Connections Cloud S1, and Connections Cloud Meetings.
IBM SmartCloud Notes subscription
A Connections Cloud subscription that provides a user with access to the SmartCloud Notes mail service.
Procedure A: Remove the user's SmartCloud Notes subscription
You want to convert a user's mail account from the SmartCloud Notes
service to your on-premises IBM Domino
- Before you remove a user's SmartCloud Notes subscription, create a replica of the SmartCloud Notes user's mail file from a IBM Notes client that is connected to the SmartCloud Notes service.
Important: The local replica should not be encrypted if you will use an operating system copy command to copy the replica to an on-premises server. You should copy the local replica to the on-premises mail server that will be the user's new mail server after the conversion.
- (Optional) To minimize message loss during the conversion process, perform the following steps to suspend the Connections Cloud account for the user. Suspending the account stops mail delivery to the SmartCloud Notes mail file. Note that suspending the account suspends all Connections Cloud subscriptions the user has, not just the SmartCloud Notes subscription.
- Perform a final replication between the mail file replica on the SmartCloud Notes server and the replica on the IBM Notes client.
- Log on to the service ( https://www.ibmcloud.com/social ) using the e-mail address and password of a SmartCloud Notes user with the Administrator role.
- If your user account also has the User role, you will see your inbox. Click Admin -> Manage Organization on the action bar at the top. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- From the left navigation pane, click User Accounts.
- Click the arrow next to the user's name that you would like to remove.
- Click Suspend Account from the drop-down menu.
- Select Suspend when prompted with the question, Are you sure you want to suspend?
Notice the User Accounts page now shows the Status for the user as "Suspended".
- Replicate the local mail file you created in step 1 above on the client, to the on-premises Domino mail server the user is switching to.
- If you did not perform step 2 above, log on to the service using the e-mail address and password of a SmartCloud Notes user with the Administrator role. If you are already logged into the service, skip to step 6.
- If your user account also has the User role, click Admin -> Manage Organization on the action bar at the top. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Click User Accounts in the left navigation pane.
- If you performed Step 2 above to suspend the user account, click the arrow next to the name of the user to convert and select Unsuspend Account. Otherwise, go to the next step.
when prompted with the question, Are you sure you want to Unsuspend?
Note: It may take a minute or two for the Unsuspend process to take place. If you experience any issues with performing the next step, wait another minute or so and try again.
- Click the arrow next to the user's name and select Edit User Account
- On the Edit User page, under Subscriptions, notice that the Mail option currently shows the SmartCloud Notes subscription. Click the Change link next to the SmartCloud Notes subscription.
- Select None selected from the Mail drop-down.
- Click Next, then Finish.
- Once the change is processed, check the Subscription column for the user. The "SmartCloud Notes" subscription should no longer be present.
- In your on-premises IBM Domino Administrator client, select File -> Open Server and select an on-premises Domino server where the user's mail file will be located or a server that replicates with it.
- Click the People & Groups tab.
- In the left navigator, expand Domino Directories, expand your company's Directory, and click People to open the People view.
- Select the user's Person document in the People view and click the Edit Person button.
- In the Mail section of the Person document change the Mail server and Mail file fields from the SmartCloud Notes mail server and mail file name (example below) to the appropriate on-premises Domino mail server and mail file name. Note: At this point, it is assumed that a replica of the user's mail file has been copied to the on-premises server.
- Click the Save & Close button.
Procedure B: Delete the Connections Cloud user account
If you do not want your user to access any Connections Cloud subscriptions, you can delete the user account rather than remove the user's SmartCloud Notes
subscription. For example, if the user has left the company, this is an appropriate procedure to follow.
Deleting a Connections Cloud user's account should be done only if the user has no other Connections Cloud subscriptions that need to be kept active and you do not want the option to reinstate the user's SmartCloud Notes
subscription. When you delete a user using the process below, all of their Connections Cloud subscriptions, including subscriptions in addition to Mail, such as Connectoins Cloud S1 and Connections Social Cloud, will also be removed, and the user's data will be lost.
- Log on to the service using the e-mail address and password of a Connections Cloud user with the Administrator role.
- If your user account also has the User role, click Admin -> Manage Organization at the top of the dashboard. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- From the left navigation pane, click User Accounts.
- Click the arrow next to the user's name that you would like to delete.
- Select Delete User.
Be sure that you are deleting the correct user. Deleting a Connections Cloud user should be done only if the user has no other Connections Cloud subscriptions and you do not plan to reinstate the user's SmartCloud Notes
subscription. When you delete a user using this process, all of their Connections Cloud subscriptions, in addition to their SmartCloud Notes
Mail subscription, will also be removed, and the user's data will be lost.
- You will be prompted with a confirmation window. If you are sure that you want to delete the user, click Trash.
Note: If you click Cancel, you have the opportunity to assign the user's resources to another user. This would transfer only any collaboration resources, such as Files, but would not transfer the mail file.
- You will be returned to the User Accounts tab. Notice that the user's status has changed to "Trash".
- In the on-premises Domino Administrator client, delete the user. Make sure to delete the on-premises mail database if you did not already do so.
For more information on deleting the user from the on-premises environment refer to the IBM Domino
help topic, Deleting a user
Read about the Results of deleting a user in a Hybrid Environment in the Hybrid administration online documentation, Deleting a user Account
What are the implications of deleting a SmartCloud Notes user with User Accounts > Delete User?
When user is deleted, they are moved to state similar to when a user's account is suspended.
- The login of the user is disabled.
- Administrators have up to 30 days to restore the user to full functionality, including mail, before they are moved to a hard-delete-pending state. In this state, only IBM Customer Services Group can restore the user (up to 60 days from the time the user is deleted). If you are sure that you will not need to restore the account, you can permanently delete it within 30 days of the initial account deletion. Permanently deleting an account frees its subscriptions for other users.
- If no action is taken before 60 days, the user is permanently deleted from Connections Cloud.