), the company administrator performs user management tasks for not only on-premises
users. In a SmartCloud
When you change a user's name in a hybrid environment, both the user's Common Name (for example, Jane Doe), and the user's Distinguished Name (for example, Jane Doe/LLNTrain2) are updated. You also have the option of changing a user's
The following table identifies the name to be changed, and where to make the change.
This exercise will show you how to change the a user's common name and E-mail (Internet) address at the same time.
1. If your server is not already open in the IBM Domino
Administrator, select File
-> Open Server
and select the on-premises Domino
server where you will be making this change; this server should be one of the on-premises servers that is configured to synch with SmartCloud Notes
2. Click the People & Groups
3. In the left navigator, expand Domino Directories
, expand your company's Directory, and click People
to open the People view.
4. With the user name selected in the People view, expand the Tools menu on the right and select Rename
5. Click Change Common Name
6. In the Choose a Certifier
dialog box, select the server that is used to locate the list of certifiers so that the Certifier ID file can be updated with the latest set of certificates for itself and all of its ancestors.
7. Click Certifier ID
and select the certifier ID that certified this user's ID. Click OK
See the Administrator Help topic, Renaming a Notes user's common or alternate name
for more options in this dialog box.
8. Enter the password of the certifier ID and click OK
9. In the Certificate Expiration Date dialog, enter a new certification expiration date if desired and click OK
10. In the Rename Person
dialog box, change the user name in the First name and/or Last name fields as desired and click OK
. Since you also want to change the Internet address, do that now, too.
11. You should receive a notification that the entry succeeded. Click OK
12. If you check on-premises IBM Domino
Administration Requests database at this point, you will see the request "Initiate Rename in Domino
® Rename process in the Domino
Directory is carried out according to the "Interval" setting for the Administration Process in the Server document, so it will take some time before it is executed on the on-premises Domino
Directory. The following screen capture shows the completed request.
Please note that the rename request that you initiate triggers additional processes that must occur on the SmartCloud Notes
service side; the total time it takes to complete the rename can vary.
13. Additional processes are required to complete the name change, which will be triggered when the user accepts the name change. For a user whose IBM Notes
ID file is in the ID Vault, which is the case for most SmartCloud Notes
users who access their e-mail using a IBM Notes
client, the rename is accepted automatically when the user's IBM Notes
ID file is synchronized with the ID Vault. This process occurs once a day.
For users whose IBM Notes
ID file is not in an ID Vault, the rename is accepted when the user authenticates with their home/mail server, which is specified in their Person and Location documents.
14. Once the rename process has completed, the user will see their new name in their mail file. For example:
The user should also see the name change reflected in their distinguished name, for example, in the company directory and in mail messages:
15. The Rename request you initiate on-premises does not change the user's name in their Connections Cloud account. This means that the user will see their original name in places such as the service banner, but they will see their new name in their mail file.
To change the user's name so that it is reflected in the service banner, log in using an id with the Administrator role.
16. If your user account also has the User role, you will see your inbox. Click Administration
-> Manage Organization
on the action bar at the top. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
17. From the left navigation pane, click User Accounts
18. Locate the user using their original name and click the arrow next to the name.
19. Select Edit User Account
20. Change the user's name in the Name
field of the User Information
section of the Edit User
page, then click Next
21. After the change is processed, the rename procedure is complete. The user will now see their new name in the service banner the next time that the user logs in.