Exercise 2.9: Setting and verifying the message size allowed for users filesAdded by IBM on September 26, 2013 | Version 1
|In this exercise, you will learn how to set a size limit on incoming mail messages.
As the company administrator, you can set a size limit on incoming mail messages. Incoming messages that exceed the size limit are rejected. You can have messages deleted that have been in mail files longer than a specified number of days. You can exclude certain users from having their mail deleted. Each IBM SmartCloud
® (SmartCloud Notes
) user is provided a 25GB mail account. As an administrator, you can help users stay within their quota by managing the size of a mail account. You can:
- Set a maximum message size
- Set automatic deletion of old mail
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Set and verify the message size allowed for users
Parent topic: Lesson 2: Administering IBM SmartCloud Notes
Previous topic: Exercise 2.8: Managing Groups
Next topic: Exercise 2.10: Enabling email deletion to limit size of mail files and improve email usability
|Mail Template||A mail template is the design of the mail database. It contains all of the features and functionality of the mail file application without any of the data.|
|Mail File||The database (file) used for sending and receiving mail in IBM® Notes. |
Note: There are several common terms used to refer to a Notes mail database. You may hear the term mail file, mail database, or mail file application. In the 'world of IBM Notes' you may see and hear these three terms used synonymously.
|Mail Database||The database (file) used for sending and receiving mail in IBM Notes. |
Note: There are several common terms used to refer to a Notes mail database. You may hear the term mail file, mail database, or mail file application. In the 'world of IBM Notes' you may see these three terms used synonymously.
|Exclude List||The user exclude list lets you specify users whose mail files are not to have any messages auto-deleted from them by the E-mail Management function. This option may be appropriate for some employees in your company such as executives, those whose mail files are in legal discovery, IT staff, or others whose mail files should not be subject to the limit.|
Complete the following steps to set and verify the message size allowed for users.
- Log into the service as a user who has both the Administrator and User roles, and navigate to the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel. For detailed steps, see the procedure document Accessing the SmartCloud Notes Administration pages.
- Click Lotus Notes in the left navigation pane.
- Click Account Settings in the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel.
- From the left navigation pane, click Email Management.
- In the Limit Message Size section, enter the maximum size for incoming mail.
- Click Save.
- Verify: Send a test message to yourself. Attach a file that exceeds the size limit just specified.
The message should be rejected and the sender should receive a Delivery Failure Report with the following error: "The size of this message exceeds the administrator specified maximum message size for this server."