Users can access the IBM SmartCloud Notes
) service using the IBM
client, the SmartCloud Notes
web client, an IMAP client and mobile devices. In this exercise we will focus on accessing SmartCloud using the web client. The SmartCloud Notes
web client provides access to SmartCloud Notes
mail servers through a Web browser. A SmartCloud Notes
subscription is all that a user requires to use this client. The IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business (SmartCloud for Social Business) service, rather than the SmartCloud Notes
service, performs the authentication. After authenticating the user, the browser redirects the client to the SmartCloud Notes
Users with the SmartCloud Notes
Entry subscription may access the SmartCloud Notes
service using only SmartCloud Notes
web and some mobile devices. To learn more about the SmartCloud Notes
Entry subscription, see IBM SmartCloud Notes
Entry Offering in the help topic: What's New in SmartCloud Notes
. To learn about using the SmartCloud Notes
service with a mobile device or an IMAP client see the following resources:
Features in SmartCloud Notes web
Use your mail application to create and manage mail, including these tasks:
- Preview messages without having to open them
- View unread messages only
- Create stationery to use when creating messages
- Mark a message for follow up
- Organize your mail using folders
- Delegate management of your SmartCloud Notes mail to another SmartCloud Notes user
- Filter your mail
- Create a personal signature to add to your messages
- Recall unread messages that are two weeks or less in age
- Notes Browser Plug-in
Use your calendar to create and edit calendar entries and to schedule meetings. Manage your calendar using these tasks:
- Display details of your Calendar entries
- View calendar by time slots, in a calendar grid, or in a summary view
- Display meeting notices, including ghost entries for calendar invites not yet processed
- View your to do items on your calendar
- Schedule a meeting and then check the schedule of invitees
: You can create and manage a personal contacts list. Manage your contacts lists using these tasks:
- Create, edit, and delete contact entries
- Add the sender from an e-mail message to your Contacts
- Create a group list for use with e-mail
Create draft documents, or use your notebook as a journal to keep daily notes or store reference information (not available in lite mode)
Create personal to do tasks for yourself, or create and assign group to do tasks. Set a preference if you want to display to do tasks in your calendar (not available in lite mode).
IBM Social theme:
Social theme provides a new, cleaner, more modern look to the web client interface, and is being adopted across the IBM
Notes Browser Plug-in
Allows users to work with on-premises IBM Notes
applications from a browser. To learn more, visit Using the Notes Browser plug-in with SmartCloud Notes
You can access your SmartCloud Notes
mail by using the SmartCloud Notes
web client. The SmartCloud Notes
web client has three modes you can choose from, based on your needs: full mode, lite mode, and ultra-light mode. The full mode offers the widest range of features including mail, contacts, calendar and scheduling, as well as notebook and to do tasks. The lite mode provides mail, calendar, and contacts support, and is especially convenient at kiosks. In either mode, you can set user preferences that customize the display of your client. The ultra-light mode is available for mobile devices, and also for computers as the accessible mode of SmartCloud Notes
web. You can access SmartCloud Notes
web in any of the following ways:
What software is required to use the services?
- To log into any mode on your computer go to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social , click Sign In. and log on using your SmartCloud for Social Business logon e-mail and password. Then click Mail at the top of the window.
- To use the ultra-light mode on your mobile device, simply point the browser on your mobile device to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social .
- To use the ultra-light mode as an accessible client on your computer, from your inbox select the Full Mode drop-down menu in the upper right corner and switch to Lite Mode.
Systems must meet the following minimum requirements for the SmartCloud Notes
- Microsoft™ Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP2 +), 7.0 and 8.0 on Microsoft Windows™ XP
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and 8.0 on Windows Vista
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5 on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Apple Safari 3.2 on Macintosh OS X 10.5
- JVM versions: Sun 1.5, Sun 1.6, or IBM 1.5
- Cookies and Scripting enabled in the browser
For the most up to date requirements refer to IBM SmartCloud Notes client requirements
In this exercise, you will:
- Log on to IBM SmartCloud Notes as a new user for the first time and configure the service for web only access
- Switch between the Full, Lite, and Ultra-light web client modes
Parent topic: Lesson 3: Supporting End Users
Next topic: Exercise 3.2: Making the Notes Client install kit available to users
|SmartCloud Notes web client||A web browser client that allows you to access your SmartCloud Notes mail to send and receive internet email, manage calendars and contacts, contribute to activities, and use instant messaging, feeds, office documents, collaboration tools, and business applications.|
- If you are logging on to SmartCloud Notes for the first time, make sure you have the following information which your administrator should have provided to you:
- SmartCloud Notes account name
- SmartCloud Notes account password
- URL to service: https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
In your Web browser go the service and click Sign In .
Enter your user name and password. Select Log In.
Create a new permanent logon password in the "Create a New Password" window. This password will replace the temporary password that was provided by your administrator. Select Continue
On the IBM SmartCloud Account Updates page, set your Country or Region, Language and Time zone, then click Submit.
At the "Welcome to SmartCloud Notes" window, click With a Web browser.
When the "Thank you" window appears, your web setup is complete. To begin using the SmartCloud Notes web client, select Click here to start using SmartCloud Notes web now.
The SmartCloud Notes web client configuration is completed when you are logged into your mail inbox.
If you are accessing your mail from a machine with limited resources, or from a mobile device, you can change to the Lite or Ultra-light modes. Depending on the browser you are using, you may see different mode options. In most browsers such as Internet Explorer, you will see these mode choices:
Currently, in Firefox, you will see three modes:
Switch to the Lite Mode by selecting the option from the Full drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the screen. The client options on the navigator will change these.