Users can access the IBM SmartCloud Notes
) service using the IBM
client, the SmartCloud Notes
web client, an IMAP client and mobile devices. This exercise provides instructions that will enable you to access the SmartCloud Notes
service using SmartCloud Notes
web. Subsequent exercises in this course provide instructions on accessing SmartCloud Notes
using the IBM Notes
client. SmartCloud Notes
web provides access to SmartCloud Notes
mail servers through a Web browser. A SmartCloud Notes
subscription is all that a user requires to use SmartCloud Notes
web. The IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business (SmartCloud for Social Business) service, rather than the SmartCloud Notes
service, performs the authentication. After authenticating the user, the browser redirects the client to the SmartCloud Notes
Users with the SmartCloud Notes Entry subscription
may connect to the IBM SmartCloud Notes
service using only web clients.
To learn about using the SmartCloud Notes
service with a mobile device or IMAP client see the following resources:
Features in SmartCloud Notes web
Mail: Use your mail application to create and manage mail, including these tasks.
- Preview messages without having to open them
- View unread messages only
- Create stationery to use when creating messages
- Mark a message for follow up
- Organize your mail using folders
- Delegate management of your SmartCloud Notes mail to another SmartCloud Notes user
- Filter your mail
- Create a personal signature to add to your messages
- Recall unread messages that are two weeks or less in age
- Notes Browser Plug-in
Use your calendar to create and edit calendar entries and to schedule meetings. Manage your calendar using these tasks:
- Display details of your Calendar entries
- View calendar by time slots, in a calendar grid, or in a summary view
- Display meeting notices, including ghost entries for calendar invites not yet processed
- View your to do items on your calendar
- Schedule a meeting and then check the schedule of invitees
You can create and manage a personal contacts list. Manage your contacts lists using these tasks:
- Create, edit, and delete contact entries
- Add the sender from an e-mail message to your Contacts
- Create a group list for use with e-mail
The service now includes Name Finder options that administrators can use to control how users find names in a directory. This topic is not covered in this training. However, you may learn more in the online product documentation. See, Configuring the name finder
Create draft documents, or use your notebook as a journal to keep daily notes or store reference information (not available in Lite mode)
Create personal to do tasks for yourself, or create and assign group to do tasks. Set a preference if you want to display to do tasks in your calendar (not available in Lite mode).
IBM Social theme:
Social theme provides a new, cleaner, more modern look to the web client interface, and is being adopted across the IBM
Notes Browser Plug-in
Allows users to work with on-premises IBM Notes
applications from a browser. To learn more, visit Using the Notes Browser plug-in with SmartCloud Notes
You can access your SmartCloud Notes mail by using SmartCloud Notes web. SmartCloud Notes web has three modes you can choose from, based on your needs: Full mode, Lite mode, and Ultra-light mode. Full mode offers the widest range of features including mail, contacts, calendar and scheduling, as well as notebook and to do tasks. Lite mode provides mail, calendar, and contacts support, and is especially convenient at kiosks. In either mode, you can set user preferences that customize the display of your client. Ultra-light mode is available for mobile devices, and also for computers as the accessible mode of SmartCloud Notes web. You can access SmartCloud Notes web in any of the following ways:
What software is required to use SmartCloud Notes web?
- To log into any mode on your computer go to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social and log on using your IBM SmartCloud for Social Business login e-mail and password. Then click Mail on the dashboard.
- To use Ultra-light mode on your mobile device, simply point the browser on your mobile device to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social.
Systems must meet minimum requirements for SmartCloud Notes web. Refer to IBM SmartCloud Notes client requirements for the most up-to-date web browser and JVM requirements.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Log on to SmartCloud Notes as a new user for the first time and configure the service for web only access
- Switch between the Full, Lite, and Ultra-light modes of SmartCloud Notes web
IBM SmartCloud Notes web
A method of accessing your SmartCloud Notes mail using your Web browser. You can send and receive internet e-mail, manage calendars and contacts, contribute to activities, and use instant messaging, feeds, office documents, and business applications.
Also referred to as SmartCloud Notes web client in the "Using SmartCloud Notes" section of the SmartCloud Notes wiki.
IBM Notes client
An integrated desktop client that can be used to send and receive Internet mail, schedule appointments, browse the Web, and take advantage of the Home Page for tracking all your important daily information.
Parent topic: Accessing IBM SmartCloud Notes using web access and the IBM Notes client
Next topic: Exercise 3.2: Making the Notes client install kit available to users
If you are logging on to SmartCloud Notes
for the first time, make sure you have the following information which your administrator should have provided to you:
- The URL for IBM SmartCloud for Social Business – The first time you log on, you log on to https://www.ibmcloud.com/social.
- Logon name – Your new SmartCloud Notes e-mail address will be your logon name. For example, email@example.com.
- The temporary password – The first time you log on to the service, you use a temporary password created for you by your administrator at the time your account is created. You will be prompted to change this password the first time you log on.
1. In your Web browser access the service and click the Sign In
2. Enter your user name and password. Select Log In
3. Create a new permanent logon password in the "Create a New Password" window. This password will replace the temporary password that was provided by your administrator. Select Continue
4. On the IBM SmartCloud
Account Updates page set your Country or Region, Language and Time Zone, then click Submit
5. At the "Welcome to SmartCloud Notes
" page, click With a Web browser
6. When the "Thank you" window appears, the SmartCloud Notes
web setup is complete. To begin using the SmartCloud Notes
web client, select Click here to start using SmartCloud Notes web now
7. Notice that your SmartCloud Notes
mail file opens to your Inbox.
8. If you are accessing your mail from a machine with limited resources, or from a mobile device, you can change to Lite Mode or Ultra-light Mode. Switch to Lite Mode by selecting the option from the Full drop-down menu. The view options on the left navigator will change according to the mode chosen.
Depending on the browser you are using, you may see different mode choices. In most browsers such as Microsoft
™ Internet Explorer, you will see these mode choices when you click the arrow next to the currently active mode in the upper right corner of the screen:
In Mozilla Firefox, you will see three modes:
You are a Company administrator who is setting up a new user with SmartCloud Notes web and you receive the error "You are not authorized to access that resource" when attempting to log in as that user.
Log out, clear the cookies from your browser, and then log in as the new user.
You are a Company administrator and have configured your web user for SmartCloud Notes web, but when you log out of SmartCloud Notes as the user and attempt to log back in with your credentials, you receive the error "Not authorized. You must be an administrator in order to use this application."
Log out, clear the cookies from your browser, and then log in with your credentials.