Steps to install Lotus
® client and then a few steps to prepare the Notes
client for configuration with SmartCloud Notes
. Assumes you do not yet have a Lotus Notes
With IBM SmartCloud
), you can access your SmartCloud Notes
mail in a browser using SmartCloud Notes
web. Optionally, you can access your SmartCloud Notes
mail using a Lotus Notes
client. This exercise takes you through the installation of the Lotus Notes
client and then a few steps to prepare the Notes
client for configuration with SmartCloud Notes
Users who have the SmartCloud Notes Entry
subscription may connect to IBM SmartCloud Notes using only web clients.
The exercise assumes you do not yet have a Lotus Notes
client installed. If you are already working with an installed Lotus Notes
client on your machine, do not follow this exercise. Instead, follow the instructions in Exercise 3.4: Preparing the Notes client to access SmartCloud Notes - Existing Notes client user
The instructions in Procedure A of this exercise represent one method for installing a version of Lotus Notes
client supported by SmartCloud Notes
. The method of installation is the choice of the company administrator. In your company the Lotus Notes
client may be installed for you, in which case you do not need to follow Procedure A. Consult with your administrator for guidance. For administrators, refer to Exercise 3.2: Making the Notes client install kit available to users
for some tips on providing the Lotus Notes
client to your users.
For information on versions of the Lotus Notes
client that are supported for use with SmartCloud Notes
, refer to Which version Notes Client should be used for IBM SmartCloud Notes?
Prior to performing this exercise, your administrator should provide you with a Lotus Notes
This exercise contains two procedures:
- Procedure A: Install the Notes client
- Procedure B: Prepare the Lotus Notes client for configuration with SmartCloud Notes
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Install a Lotus Notes client version that is supported by SmartCloud Notes
- Prepare the Lotus Notes client for configuration with SmartCloud Notes
Parent topic: Accessing IBM SmartCloud Notes using web access and the Lotus Notes client
Previous topic: Exercise 3.2: Making the Notes client install kit available to users
Next topic: Exercise 3.4: Preparing the Notes client to access IBM SmartCloud Notes - Existing Notes client user
|SmartCloud Notes web||A method of accessing your SmartCloud Notes mail using your Web browser. You can send and receive internet email, manage calendars and contacts, contribute to activities, and use instant messaging, feeds, office documents, and business applications. |
Also referred to as SmartCloud Notes web client in the "Using SmartCloud Notes" section of the IBM SmartCloud wiki.
|Lotus Notes client ||An integrated desktop client that can be used to send and receive Internet mail, schedule appointments, browse the Web, and take advantage of the Home Page for tracking all your important daily information.|
|Subscription||A primary or additional paid offering that is part of your IBM SmartCloud for Social Business (SmartCloud for Social Business) service. |
|SmartCloud Sametime®||Instant messaging service in SmartCloud for Social Business, based on IBM® Lotus Sametime Connect. Instant messaging is a form of real-time direct text-based communication between two or more people using computers or other devices, along with shared software clients. The user's text is conveyed over a network, such as the Internet. SmartCloud Notes users can chat with each other through SmartCloud™ instant messaging embedded in the Lotus Notes sidebar. |
|Lotus Connections||IBM Lotus Connections software is social software for business. It gives you fast access to everyone in your network - your colleagues, customers and partners. Features like communities, blogs and activities can be set up for internal use. IBM SmartCloud Connections is a feature of the IBM SmartCloud Engage subscription. |
|Fix Pack (FP)||A Fix Pack contains high impact fixes to known issues in the software. Fix Packs are released periodically between maintenance release of a Lotus Notes/Domino product. For example, Notes/Domino 8.5.1 is a maintenance release. First 8.5.1 FP1 was released, then 8.5.1 FP2 and so on. The most current Fix Pack released for Lotus Notes/Domino 8.5.1 is FP5. Fix Packs are always cumulative and contain all of the fixes from previous ones. A Fix Pack is language independent and may be applied on any language version of Notes/Domino. |
Procedure A: Install the Notes client
- Shut down all applications.
- Obtain the Lotus Notes install kit
Note: Your company administrator provides you with install kit and instructions for copying the kit to your machine.
- Save the Lotus Notes install kit to a local folder. For example, C:\Install.
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the install kit.
- Locate and run the installation executable. For example, on a Microsoft™ Windows™ operating system, click lotus_notes852_win_en.exe.
- The Open File - Security Warning will launch. Click Run.
- The Lotus Notes InstallShield Wizard launches. Leave the default option for removing the installation files and click Next.
- Wait while the InstallShield Wizard extracts files.
- Read the Welcome information, and then click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreement terms, and then click Next.
- Leave the default install directory or specify a different installation directory, select who should be able to use this installation, and then click Next.
- Select the Lotus Notes client features and sub-features to install, and then click Next. If you are installing Lotus Notes 8.5.2.x or 8.5.3.x, the SmartCloud for Social Business instant messaging community can be added to the Lotus Notes sidebar. To enable this feature, select the Sametime (integrated) option. If you are installing Lotus Notes 8.5.2.x or 8.5.3.x, and you have a IBM SmartCloud Engage subscription, 'Activities' can be added to the Lotus Notes sidebar. To enable this feature, select the Lotus Connections option.
Note: Composite Application Editor is not needed for SmartCloud Notes, but is available for someone who would use the Lotus Notes Client to access servers not managed by IBM. IBM Lotus Symphony® and Feed Reader are optional.
- Select whether you want to make Notes your default e-mail, calendar or contacts program, and then click Install.
- When the Install Wizard has completed, click Finish.
- The Lotus Notes client is now installed on the user's computer. Prepare the Notes client for configuration with SmartCloud Notes by continuing to Procedure B below.
Procedure B: Prepare the Lotus Notes client for SmartCloud Notes
You must receive a Lotus Notes
client user ID from your administrator prior to performing these steps.
- Open the Lotus Notes client by clicking the desktop icon (or if in Microsoft Windows, from the Start menu).
- At the Welcome screen, click Next.
- Background: This step is not meant to configure the Lotus Notes client to connect to a SmartCloud Notes mail server yet. At this point you are simply configuring the Lotus Notes client so that it is in a state where it can be configured to access the SmartCloud Notes servers. What you enter into the Your name field is not significant and does not have to be a SmartCloud for Social Business login name. You should not enter anything into the Domino® server field. Enter a name in the Your Name field and uncheck the box, I want to connect to a Domino server. Note that this action greys out the Domino server field. Click Next.
- Leave all the Additional services unchecked. Click Finish.
- Notice that the Lotus Notes client launches and displays the Getting Started tab.
- Copy the Notes client user ID that your administrator provided you, to the Notes data directory (Microsoft Windows example: C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes\Data)
- From the Notes menu select File -> Security -> Switch ID. Browse to the ID file that you copied to the data directory in the previous step. Select that ID file, and then click Open.
- Click File -> Exit to close Lotus Notes.
- Select Yes to the question, "Are you sure you want to exit from Notes? ".
- Important! Now that the Lotus Notes client is installed and prepared for configuration, proceed to the appropriate exercise below to configure SmartCloud Notes for use with the Lotus Notes client:
|What happens if I need to start the Lotus Notes client install over? ||If you need to exit and restart the install, make sure to perform a clean install. For more information about doing this, see How to Perform a clean reinstall of a Notes client|