You can access your IBM SmartCloud
) mail in a browser using SmartCloud Notes
web, and optionally you can also use the IBM
client to access the same mail file. In this exercise you will use both methods of access.
In order to use a Notes
Client to access your SmartCloud Notes
mail, you must have a full SmartCloud Notes
subscription. Users with the SmartCloud Notes Entry
subscription may access their SmartCloud Notes
mail using only SmartCloud Notes
provides a single point of access to e-mail, calendars, contacts, activities, instant messaging, feeds, office documents, and business applications. In SmartCloud Notes
web you can manage your Inbox using full-text search, delegation, mail filtering and sorting, conversation views, and flags. When you access your SmartCloud Notes
mail using a IBM Notes
client, you can take advantage of the many collaboration features that are available through IBM Notes
Additional features available in the IBM Notes client:
Activities: Beginning with IBM Notes 8.5.2, if your organization has an IBM SmartCloud Engage subscription, then the right sidebar in the IBM Notes client is automatically configured to access Engage Activities without further authentication.
IBM Sametime®: Use the embedded IBM Sametime client in the right sidebar to manage instant messaging contacts and initiate chats. Note: This feature is present only if the administrator has made a IBM Sametime server available and the IBM Notes client has been installed with the "Sametime (Integrated)" option.
Documents: Create and edit Notes documents in IBM Notes applications.
Widgets: Add widgets to the right sidebar.
RSS feeds: Subscribe to RSS feeds using the feed reader in the right sidebar.
Create and manage IBM applications: Using IBM Notes templates, create and manage IBM applications, such as teamrooms, or discussion databases.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Log onto SmartCloud Notes web for the first time, as a new user, and configure the SmartCloud Notes service for IBM Notes client access
- Run the IBM Notes client configuration tool to configure of your IBM Notes client to access your SmartCloud Notes mail
IBM SmartCloud Notes web
A method of accessing your SmartCloud Notes mail using your Web browser. You can send and receive internet email, manage calendars and contacts, contribute to activities, and use instant messaging, feeds, office documents, and business applications.
Also referred to as SmartCloud Notes web client in the "Using SmartCloud Notes" section of the IBM SmartCloud wiki.
IBM Notes client
An integrated desktop client that can be used to send and receive Internet mail, schedule appointments, browse the Web, and take advantage of the Home Page for tracking all your important daily information.
Parent topic: Accessing IBM SmartCloud Notes using web access and the IBM Notes client
Previous topic: Exercise 3.4: Preparing the Notes client to access IBM SmartCloud Notes - Existing Notes client user
Next topic: Exercise 3.6: Configuring IBM SmartCloud Notes for use with an IBM Notes client - Existing SmartCloud Notes web user
In order to proceed with this exercise, it is assumed all three items below are true:
If you have already done so, ignore this exercise and instead follow Exercise 3.6: Configuring IBM SmartCloud Notes for use with an IBM Notes client - Existing SmartCloud Notes web user
If not, go to the previous exercise that is appropriate for your situation:
1. You have never accessed your SmartCloud Notes
mail in a browser using SmartCloud Notes
2. You have installed
a version of IBM Notes
client supported by SmartCloud Notes
, or verified
that your existing IBM Notes
client is a version supported by SmartCloud Notes
3. You have prepared the Notes
client for the configuration you will be performing in this exercise:
4. Your system meets the SmartCloud Notes
system requirements shown here
to use a flowchart to determine the exercises to follow based on your current setup.
1. Since you are logging on to SmartCloud Notes
for the first time, make sure you have the following information, which your administrator should have provided to you, as you will need it later in this exercise:
- Logon name – Your new SmartCloud Notes email address will be your IBM SmartCloud for Social Business (SmartCloud for Social Business) logon name. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The temporary password -- The first time you log on, you use a temporary password created for you by your administrator at the time your account is created. You will be asked to change this password the first time you log on.
2. Access the service ( https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
) in a Web browser, and click Sign In
3. Enter your user name in e-mail format and password. Select Log In
4. Create a new permanent logon password in the Create a New Password window. This password will replace the temporary password that was provided by your administrator.
5. Click Continue
6. On the IBM SmartCloud
Account Updates page set your Country or Region, Language and Time Zone, then click Submit
7. At the Welcome to IBM SmartCloud Notes
window, select With IBM Notes
If you select "With IBM Notes
", you also will have the ability to access your SmartCloud Notes
mail file using the SmartCloud Notes
8. In the Start using SmartCloud Notes
window, click Download
to download the IBM Notes
client configuration tool.
This process of configuring the IBM Notes
client for use with SmartCloud Notes
is specific to EACH user. Each user must go through the process of downloading the configuration tool while logged into their own SmartCloud Notes
9. In the Software License Agreement window select a Language, select I agree to the terms and conditions
, and select Continue
10. The Your download will start in a few seconds
If your download does not start, check to make sure that your browser is not blocking it.
The next dialog that appears depends on your browser. If you are prompted to open the config.nsf file, click Open
If your browser prompts you to associate the config.nsf file with an application, be sure to select Open with IBM Lotus Notes/Domino (default)
11. IBM Notes
starts if it is not already running. When the Join SmartCloud Notes
window displays, read the information provided about your account. Close any open tabs and save your work, then click I have closed all other Notes windows and tabs
and click Join
12. The next time you start IBM Notes
, type your IBM Notes
password when prompted and click Log In.
13. The Join SmartCloud Notes
screen appears and the message "You are now configured to join SmartCloud Notes
" displays. Click OK
14. You should now be able to open your mail file in the SmartCloud Notes
server. Select Open
15. (Optional) This exercise has guided you in configuring your IBM Notes
client to access your SmartCloud Notes
mail. Note that you also have the option of accessing your SmartCloud Notes
mail using your web browser; these next few steps guide you in doing so. After performing the steps above, you should currently be logged into the service in your browser. Switch to your browser; if you are currently logged into the service, go to the next step. If you are not currently logged into the service, do so now by accessing https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
and clicking Sign In
, then entering your user name in e-mail format and password and selecting Log In
Note that the password you use to log into SmartCloud Notes
web is a separate password from the one you use to log into the IBM Notes
16. (Optional) Select Mail
in the left side of the dashboard.
17. (Optional) Send an e-mail or schedule a meeting in the IBM Notes
client and verify it appears in SmartCloud Notes
Troubleshooting Scenario 1
A SmartCloud Notes
user cannot log on to IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business. The company administrator can try the following steps:
1. Determine if another SmartCloud Notes
user or administrator can log on to the service ( https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
). If another user or administrator can log on, continue to Step 2. Otherwise, there may be a problem with your SmartCloud Notes
subscription and you should contact your IBM
2. If the user was able to log on previously, perform the following steps, stopping at any step that resolves the problem:
a. Ask the user to close all browser windows and to try to log on again.
b. Ask the user to clear the browser cookies "collabserv.com" and "apps.na.collabserv.com" or "apps.ap.collabserv.com" and to try to log on again. Also clear lotuslive.com, apps.lotuslive.com or apps.ap.lotuslive.com if they exist (these reference the former domain name of the service). The steps to clear cookies vary by browser and browser version.
c. To determine if the problem is browser-related, ask the user to switch to another browser and to try to log on again.
d. To determine if the problem is related to the user's computer, ask the user to switch to a browser on another computer and to try to log on again.
e. To determine if there is a problem with the original user's service account, ask another user to try to log on using the original user's computer and browser. If the other user can log on, continue to Step 4.
3. If the user has not logged on previously:
a. To determine if the problem is browser-related, ask the user to switch to another browser and to try to log on again.
b. To determine if the problem is related to the user's computer, ask the user to switch to a browser on another computer and to try to log on again.
c. To determine if there is a problem with the original user's service account, ask another user to try to log on using the original user's computer and browser. If the other user can log on, continue to Step 4.
4. Reset the user's logon password using the steps below. Refer also to Exercise 2.12: Resetting the Web password for an IBM SmartCloud Notes user
a. Log onto the service ( https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
) as a SmartCloud Notes
user with the Administrator role.
b. Click the Administration
link located at the top, right of the window.
c. Click User Accounts
, select the user from the list of users and click the down arrow and then Edit User
, reset the user's password to create a new temporary password for the user, click Save Changes
, and log out.
d. Provide the new temporary password to the user and ask the user to try to log onto https://www.ibmcloud.com/social
e. If the user is able to log on, the user will be prompted to set a new password. If the user is still unable to log on, proceed to the next step.
5. If none of the previous steps resolve the logon problem, gather the following information and contact IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business Support:
- Browser version
- User name
- Any error messages
- Steps to reproduce the problem
Troubleshooting Scenario 2
A user receives either of these errors when attempting to log in to the IBM Notes
Client: "ID in vault has download count of zero"
or "ID in vault has expired download timer"
or "The 5-day limit on downloading a SmartCloud Notes ID or new password from the ID vault has expired."
If this error occurs after running the client configuration tool, these messages indicate that the 5-day limit on downloading a Notes
ID from the service has been exceeded. The ID is required to access a SmartCloud Notes
Information on how to reset a users IBM Notes
password can be found in Exercise 2.10: Managing the password for a user's IBM Notes user ID
1. Ask your company administrator to reset your IBM Notes password.
2. Use the new password within 5 days to log on to IBM Notes to connect to your SmartCloud Notes mail server.
Troubleshooting Scenario 3
A user receives the error, "Server not responding"
when attempting to access their mail in the IBM Notes
client. The computer cannot connect to the service. Try any of these actions to correct the problem:
1. Make sure your computer is connected to the network.
2. Make sure your virtual private network (VPN) connection is functioning, if you use one.
3. If you are still not successful, contact your company administrator.