Exercise 3.6: Accessing product documentation and help for IBM SmartCloud Notes and Notes clientAdded by IBM on September 26, 2013 | Version 1
|This exercise introduces the product and help documentation that is available for SmartCloud Notes® and the Notes client.
Whether you use the standalone IBM
client or a Web browser to access IBM SmartCloud
), it is beneficial to know how to access Help files and documentation when you need to perform a task or troubleshoot a problem. In this exercise you will access Help documentation for SmartCloud Notes
and the IBMNotes
These supported clients will be used in this exercise:
- IBM Notes client versions 8.5.3.x or 8.5.2.x
- Mozilla Firefox browser version 3.5 or higher
This exercise is divided into the following procedures:
- Procedure A: Access help within SmartCloud Notes web
- Procedure B: Access the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki for product documentation and help
- Procedure C: Access product documentation and help available in the IBM Notes and Domino® wiki
- Procedure D: Locate the Help files within the standalone Notes client
- Procedure E: Locate and install the Learning Widget
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Access help within SmartCloud Notes web
- Access IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki for product documentation and help (available to both SmartCloud Notes web users and IBM Notes client users)
- Access the product documentation and help available in IBM Notes and Domino wiki
- Locate the Help files available within the standalone IBM Notes client
- Locate and install the Learning Widget
Parent topic: Lesson 3: Supporting End Users
Previous topic: Exercise 3.5: Configuring IBM SmartCloud Notes for use with a IBM Notes client - existing IBM SmartCloud Notes user
Next topic: Exercise 3.7: Troubleshooting
|IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki||IBM supported wiki for users of the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business services, including SmartCloud Notes, IBM SmartCloud Connections, IBM SmartCloud Meetings, and so on. Contains Product Documentation including a section for "Using martCloud Notes".|
|IBM Notes and Domino wiki ||IBM supported wiki for IBM Notes and Domino users, which includes a media gallery with demonstrations, reference cards, and helpful articles. |
|Notes client Help files ||End user help documentation that is installed with the standalone IBM Notes client. |
|IBM Lotus® Learning Widget||Plug-in learning application that runs from within the standalone IBM Notes client User Interface. The learning widget brings educational materials directly to the desktop.|
Procedure A: Access help within SmartCloud Notes web
- Access the service using your Web browser, click the Sign In button, type your user name and password, and again click Log In .
- Access the Help by clicking Help -> Wiki in the upper right corner. This brings you to the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business Wiki .
In order to open SmartCloud for Social Business Help in a separate tab, click Help
, then right-click Wiki
and select your browser's option for opening the link in a new tab
- If you are using an ID that has the Administrator role you will also see an Administrator Help menu option. This menu option opens a page of links to product documentation that exists on the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki, as well as to other helpful resources.
Procedure B: Access SmartCloud for Social Business wiki for product documentation and help
Whether you access your SmartCloud Notes
mail using an IBM Notes
client or from a browser using SmartCloud Notes
web, you can use the IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business wiki as a resource for your SmartCloud Notes
- From your Web browser, open the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki .
Once in the IBM
SmartCloud for Social Business wiki, you will see the many options for accessing helpful documentation pertaining to the IBM
SmartCloud for Social Business services, including SmartCloud Notes
. The wiki is organized by serveral tabs: Home
, Community Articles
, Product Documentation
, and Learning Center
Bookmark the IBM SmartCloud
wiki for future reference.
- Peruse the Home tab to see the resources currently available. The items shown on the tabs of the wiki are updated on a frequent basis to show the latest information available. The Community Articles tab contains articles written by customers, business partners, and IBMers.
- Click the Product Documentation tab.
- In the Available Product Documentation table, right-click Using SmartCloud Notes and click the option Open Link in New Tab or equivalent menu for your particular browser. This action launches the Using SmartCloud Notes documentation in a separate browser window.
Click over to the newly opened browser tab and peruse the Using SmartCloud Notes
page and/or bookmark it for later reference. Then click back over to original browser window.
- If you have the Administrator role, also note the Administering SmartCloud Notes link. Right-click the link to open it in a separate window and bookmark it.
- Another way of accessing the documentation cited in the previous two steps, from anywhere in the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki, is using the navigator in the left-hand pane. In the screen capture below, the Using SmartCloud Notes section is expanded, and it shows topics associated with configuring and using the IBM Notes client and the SmartCloud Notes web to access your mail file.
- Click the Home tab, and peruse the currently available resources.
- Under Videos and Tutorials, click the link to View all items in Video Gallery.
- Select your language, then click Show videos: SmartCloud Notes web.
- While you are here, watch the video called, "Welcome to IBM SmartCloud Notes web"
Procedure C: Access product documentation and help available in IBM Notes and Domino wiki
If you are using an IBM Notes
client to access your SmartCloud Notes
mail file, much of IBM Notes
client documentation, help, wiki articles, and technotes are applicable resources you can reference if you have a question on using the Notes
- Connect to the IBM Notes and Domino Wiki by directing your Web browser to the following link: http://www.lotus.com/ldd/dominowiki.nsf
- Take a moment to peruse the resources available to you for IBM Notes client help and learning content. For example, go to the Learning Center tab, click the Getting Started filter then click Lotus Notes 8.5.3 to discover what is there.
- Peruse the learning items in this sampling. They are found on the Learning Center tab:
Procedure D: Locate Help files within the standalone IBM Notes client
- In the standalone IBM Notes client, access the Help files by clicking Help -> Help Contents. Note that there are many topics in the Help Contents. For end user help, focus on the Lotus Notes 8.5.3 Help section.
- Within the Help Contents, expand the Lotus Notes 8.5.3 Help section, then locate and open the Elements of Lotus Notes document. This Help document outlines the various elements of the Notes client User Interface. Note the many Help topics under the Lotus Notes 8.5.3 Help section.
- Close the Help Contents by clicking on the 'X' in the upper right corner of the window.
- Within the Notes client, press the F1 key. This will launch the dynamic Help. This help is contextual, which means you will be presented with Help topics specific to the task you are undertaking.
- Close the dynamic Help pane by clicking on the 'X' in the upper right corner of the window.
Procedure E: Locate and install the IBM Lotus Learning Widget
The Learning Widget can be added to the sidebar of the IBM Notes
client; its purpose is to provide easy access to learning materials such as reference cards and video demos of tasks you perform in your IBM Notes
client. The learning widget brings these educational materials directly to the desktop.
- In your Web browser, navigate to the Learning Widget for Lotus Notes article on the IBM Notes and Domino wiki.
- Follow the instructions in the article to install the Learning Widget.
Note: Start your standalone Notes client and then resize each application window so they can be positioned side by side. This will allow you to drag and drop the widget file (learning_widget_externsion.xml) from your Web browser into the My Widgets pane of the IBM Notes client.
- Once installed, test the widget by launching the 5-in-5: Creating fancy tables in Lotus Notes
- Close the demo when it completes.