Exercise 4.3: Adding a custom field to user profilesAdded by IBM on March 5, 2012 | Version 1
|In this exercise you will add a custom field to the user profile page.
In this exercise you will add a custom field to the user profile page.
Attention: This page is being updated in the next few days to reflect the rename of IBM® LotusLive™ to IBM SmartCloud™ for Social Business. During this update phase, however, the information will still be relevant.
By default, user profiles in SmartCloud for Social Business contain many different fields where users can post information about themselves.
If desired, you can add a custom field to the user profile page to display information that is specific to your company. You can choose whether a custom field is visible to the public, only SmartCloud for Social Business users, only SmartCloud for Social Business users in the same organization, or to SmartCloud for Social Business users in the same organization as well as that user's Network Contacts.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
Parent topic: Lesson 4: Customizing SmartCloud for Social Business for your organization
Previous topic: Exercise 4.2: Changing the theme and adding your logo to the navigation bar
Next topic: Exercise 4.4: Creating organization announcements
- Add a custom field to the user profiles for your company.
- Log in and navigate to the Administration panel. For detailed steps, see the procedure document: Accessing the Administration Panel.
- From the navigation pane, click Profile Customization.
- Click the Add link on the Custom Fields for Profiles row.
- Set the name of the custom field that you would like to add in the Field Name box.
- Select the appropriate privacy level for the custom field in the Field Privacy box.
The options for field privacy are:
Source: Understanding Custom Profile fields
- Public visible: Anyone who can see the user's profile, can see the custom field and value.
- SmartCloud for Social Business users: Only registered SmartCloud for Social Business users can see the custom field and value.
- Same org users: Only other employees of this organization can see the custom field and value.
- Network contacts: Org users and network contacts can see the custom field and value.
- Click Save to save your changes.
You should receive a message that the field was added.
Users will see the custom field when editing their user profiles. Custom fields are appended to the bottom of the list of fields in the order they are added to the Custom Fields for Profiles
After users set a value for the field, it will display in their user profile.