Installing Lotus Sametime for use with instant messaging in IBM SmartCloud NotesAdded by IBM on August 31, 2012 | Version 1
|The instant messaging service in IBM SmartCloud™ Notes® is based on IBM® Lotus® Sametime® Connect. SmartCloud Notes users can chat with each other through instant messaging embedded in SmartCloud Notes web or the Lotus Notes client sidebar.
The instant messaging service in IBM SmartCloud
® is based on IBM
® Connect. SmartCloud Notes
users can chat with each other through instant messaging embedded in SmartCloud Notes
web or the Lotus Notes
Instant messaging is a standard feature with the IBM SmartCloud Notes
) subscription. To use it, the feature must be enabled for your company by the company administrator in SmartCloud Notes
There are two procedures for installing the IBM Lotus Sametime
Table 1. Choose the procedure relevant to you
|You access SmartCloud Notes using the Lotus Notes client...||..you may use the integrated Lotus Sametime client that is available in the sidebar of the Lotus Notes Client.|
Use Procedure A below to install the Lotus Sametime Client.
|You access SmartCloud Notes using a Web browser...||...you may use instant messaging embedded in SmartCloud Notes web. Refer to the exercise, Configuring instant messaging in the Notes Client and IBM SmartCloud Notes web.|
In this exercise, you will:
Parent topic: Advanced Topics - Instant Messaging
Previous topic: Enabling instant messaging for your company in IBM SmartCloud Notes
Next topic: Configuring instant messaging in the Notes client and IBM SmartCloud Notes web
- Add the Lotus Sametime feature to an existing Lotus Notes client installation.
Procedure A: Installing the integrated Lotus Sametime Client with your Lotus Notes Client
- You must be running Lotus Notes 8.5.2.x or 8.5.3.x to use Lotus Sametime in the sidebar with the IBM SmartCloud Notes instant messaging community (also referred to as the service instant messaging community). (Source: Preparing for Lotus Notes clients).
- This process does not apply to Linux™ installs; for Linux, recreate the rpm or deb install kit to contain the desired features and run the new rpm or deb install kit. See the Information Center topic, Customizing Notes install for Linux RPM or DEB.
- Exit Lotus Notes if it is running. Launch setup.exe from the Lotus Notes installation files. The first screen alerts you that the wizard will allow you to modify Lotus Notes. Click Next.
- On the Program Maintenance screen, click Modify. Then click Next.
- Click the button next to the Sametime (integrated) feature, and select This feature will be installed on local hard drive.
- Confirm that the icon now displays next to the Sametime (integrated) feature. Click Next.
icon now displays next to the Sametime (integrated) feature. Click Next.
- Optionally, set Lotus Notes as the default program for email, calendar and contacts. Click Install.
- The Installing Lotus Notes page will display the current progress of the install.
- When the Install Wizard indicates that the installation is complete, click Finish.
- The next time you launch Lotus Notes, the integrated Sametime feature will be available in the sidebar.
- Proceed to the exercise, Configuring instant messaging in the Notes client and IBM SmartCloud Notes web to use the service instant messaging community.