Managing devices in IBM SmartCloud Traveler for NotesAdded by IBM | Edited by Tiffany Amos on September 17, 2015 | Version 2
|In this exercise, you will learn how to perform several administrator functions for IBM® SmartCloud Traveler for Notes®, such as wiping a device, canceling a wipe, and reactivating a device.
) users can use IBM
SmartCloud Traveler for Notes
to access their mail on a mobile device. For each user who has the Lotus
Traveler service installed on their mobile device, you, as the company administrator, can view status information about the device. If a device is lost or stolen, you can wipe the device to remove all sensitive data from it. It is also recommended that you wipe a device before removing a subscription from it, because after the subscription is removed, you cannot access the device to remove the data.
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
- Manage (as a company administrator) IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes accounts to wipe a device, cancel a wipe or reactivate a device
Parent topic: Lesson 4: Configuring and administering IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes service
Previous topic: End-User Provisioning for IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes
Next topic: Device logging
- Log in to the service using the e-mail address and password of a SmartCloud Notes user with the Administrator role. If your SmartCloud Notes account also has the User role, click Administration at the top of the window. Otherwise, skip this step.
- Click Lotus Notes from the left navigation pane
- Click Users in the Administration window
- Select the user whose account information you want to access
- Click Manage Lotus Traveler Devices. If you do not see this link, no IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes subscription exists. See the exercise on enabling an IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes subscription for a user.
- Explanation of terms on the Manage Lotus Traveler Devices page:
- To remove the Lotus Notes Traveler application and all data and settings from the device, click Wipe Device. Once confirmed, this action restores the device to the factory default settings and erases account data from the device. Your device will be listed differently than in the graphic below. An emulator was used for this exercise.
- You can also choose to wipe only the Traveler data. This will remove only the IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes application data, but leave personal data on the device:
You will be asked to confirm the data wipe:
- If you need to cancel a wipe that you have initiated, click Cancel Wipe. This button is visible only when a wipe is pending. Click Refresh Device List to check on the process of a pending wipe or see whether the user's online status has changed.
- To reactivate a device that has been wiped, click Reactivate. Reactivating allows the device to use the IBM SmartCloud Traveler for Notes service again.
- Once a wipe order is issued, it remains in effect permanently unless the wipe order is cancelled or the device is reactivated. If the mobile device is later recovered or found, you must return to this page and cancel the wipe (if still pending) or Reactivate the device before the device can use the Lotus Notes Traveler service again. If you wipe a device because a user has lost it and if the user later finds the device and the device is off, the user should not turn it on immediately. Instead, reactivate the device before the user turns it on so the account data does not have to be reloaded.