IBM SmartCloud Notes
for Hosted BlackBerry® Services is an optional add-on subscription to the IBM SmartCloud Notes
service, and is available in both the Hybrid and Service-only environments of SmartCloud Notes
. Customers can use this add-on subscription to access mail messages on their BlackBerry® smartphones, and synchronize calendar and contacts between BlackBerry® smartphones, IBM
® servers in the IBM SmartCloud
, and SmartCloud Notes
desktops (either the full IBM Notes
client or the SmartCloud Notes
The primary benefit of using the SmartCloud Notes
for Hosted BlackBerry® Services is that customers do not have to set up and maintain an on-premises BlackBerry® Enterprise Server infrastructure for serving the needs of their BlackBerry® mobile smartphone users. SmartCloud Notes
for Hosted BlackBerry® Service is a fully hosted service offering for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, which is maintained for customers by IBM
as a part of the IBM SmartCloud
for Social Business portfolio.
Prior to going through this lesson, you should be in contact with an IBM
sales representative, who will discuss the requirements, which are listed below.
BlackBerry 10 devices connect to IBM SmartCloud Notes
using IBM SmartCloud
Traveler for Notes
. To learn about this, see Using a BlackBerry device FAQ
. BlackBerry 10 is not covered in this training.
In this exercise, you will learn:
Parent topic: Administrator tasks for configuring BlackBerry® smartphone subscription for IBM SmartCloud Notes
Next topic: Configuring the BlackBerry® smartphone subscription in a IBM SmartCloud Notes service-only environment
- Requirements for the SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services
- Initial steps to take and decision points
Requirements and limitations
SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services
- The SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services are available for SmartCloud Notes users.
- Migration of a current BlackBerry® Enterprise Server deployment at your company to the SmartCloud Notes service is not supported. BlackBerry® smartphones need to be wiped and reactivated for use with the SmartCloud Notes service.
- Only the BlackBerry® smartphone features cited in the documentation on the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business wiki are supported. If a BlackBerry® smartphone feature is not represented in the documentation, it is not supported by SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services.
- Prior to configuring the SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services for your BlackBerry® smartphone users. your company must have purchased SmartCloud Notes and BlackBerry® subscriptions, and the SmartCloud Notes service must be in place. Information on configuring the SmartCloud Notes service is contained in Lesson 1 of this course.
- Information on setings enforced for BlackBerry smartphone users can be found Settings enforced for BlackBerry smartphones.
- The BlackBerry® smartphone user's wireless carrier plan must be an Enterprise plan rather than a Personal plan. A smartphone cannot be activated for the SmartCloud Notes service when a Personal plan is used.
- The operating system on each BlackBerry® smartphone must be version 4.0 or higher.
Initial steps and decision points prior to configuring SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services
- Consult with your IBM sales representative regarding requirements or if you have questions on any of the steps below. If you have not yet been in contact with a sales representative, go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/social/us/en/planspricing/
- Proceed to the next exercise which shows you the steps to configure SmartCloud Notes for Hosted BlackBerry® Services.