Traveler for Android is now available on Google PlayAdded by Rick Gillaspy on April 30, 2013 | Version 1
|The Android client for IBM Notes Traveler is now available on the Google Play store.
Effective April 25, 2013, the Android client for IBM Notes Traveler is available to be downloaded and installed from the Google Play store. The IBM Notes Traveler Android client available on Google Play includes the capabilities provided in the latest IBM Notes Traveler release and is compatible with older IBM Notes Traveler servers running 18.104.22.168 or newer fixpacks, including 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1 and 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 2. When the IBM Notes Traveler Android client is used with an older version of IBM Notes Traveler server, the Android client will only surface the features supported by the version of the server with which it is connecting. The IBM Notes Traveler Android client from the Google Play store will not be able to configure the client if the IBM Notes Traveler server is version 22.214.171.124 or older. Going forward, while newer versions of the Android client will still be included with new versions of the IBM Notes Traveler server, the Android client available on Google Play will also be updated in conjunction with the availability of newer IBM Notes Traveler server releases so that the most recent client is always available on the Google Play store.
Historically, the Android client for IBM Notes Traveler has only been available for download via the IBM Notes Traveler server, or other means made available by the Traveler administrator. This controlled availability has been advantageous for most customers, but many have also requested the Android client be made available on Google Play.
Why make the IBM Notes Traveler client available on Google Play?
- It removes the requirement that users check the Android security setting: "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Google Play Store". Some enterprises had been uncomfortable with users being required to change this security setting.
- It follows the process many users are familiar with for receiving application update notifications, and downloading and installing the updates.
- Users will be more likely to have the latest client with the latest fixes, since they will not have to rely on administrators to make the latest client available. At the same time, administrators do not have to worry about backwards compatibility, as the client now includes the capability to only enable features supported by the server to which the client is connecting.
- It provides an alternate application update path for situations where there are problems attempting to install Android client updates from servers using self-signed SSL certificates.
- If desired, administrators can refer Android client users to this url, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lotus.sync.traveler, to obtain the latest IBM Notes Traveler Android client.
- There is no way to 'prevent' end users from installing from the Android client from the Google Play store. However, if the IBM Notes Traveler server being used is 126.96.36.199 or older, users will not be able to complete the client configuration.
- After installing the IBM Notes Traveler client from the Google Play store, Android will automatically notify the user when there are new versions of the client available on the store.
- In addition to this documented procedure for pre-filling some fields to ease end user Android client configuration, the version of the IBM Notes Traveler Android client on Google Play can also be pre-configured after it is installed. An administrator could send a personalized text, email, or communication via an alternate preferred method, which includes the link to the Google Play store, along with the "traveler.setup" link, formatted as follows:
Note: since the "traveler.setup:" will not be automatically detected as clickable in many applications, the most effective way for the Android device to make use of this url is as a link in side an html tag like <a href.