ShowTable of Contents
A Reseller is a Vendor who sells IBM® SmartCloudTM
for Social Business (hereafter called “SmartCloud”) as their own product with the help of re-branding. Distributed Software (DSW) is an ordering and billing system. This article describes how to create a DSW order; specifically, how customer orders for the subscriptions of SmartCloud can be performed through the DSW order workflow by a Sales team.
Creating a Reseller (Vendor)
A SmartCloud user having a Customer Support Group (CSG) or Customer Support Representative (CSR) role is able to create a Vendor. When a SmartCloud CSG enters all the data in the Create new Vendor form and saves it, a Vendor will be created, and a registration email will be received in the Vendor's email ID.
The Vendor then registers by clicking the registration URL in the registration email, which opens the registration form, and the Vendor must set a password and click the Submit button to become active. Here are the steps:
Figure 1. Create New Vendor form
- Log in to SmartCloud as a CSG.
- Select Administration --- Manage Organization ---Manage Vendors.
- Click the Create Vendor button; the Create New Vendor form opens (see figure 1).
- Enter the appropriate data for all the fields and click Save.
5. In the Vendor's email ID, open the email and click the registration URL.
6. Set a password in the registration form and click Submit (see figure 2).
Figure 2. Complete your registration form
Once the Vendor is active, he can log in to SmartCloud and set branding details and themes, and can create customers by using the IBM SmartCloud SaaS Business Support System (BSS) API Explorer.
When a Vendor logs in, he can see Personal, Vendor, and System Setting sections as shown in figure 3.
Figure 3. My Account Settings window
Creating a Vendor Customer using API explorer
A Vendor Administrator can create a Vendor Customer by using the BSS API Explorer, but first you must authenticate by entering “telnetpunll05.in.ibm.com” in a command prompt and entering your IBM Intranet ID and password for authentication.
1. Launch API Explorer (http://punbsscore21.in.ibm.com:8181/bssapiexplorer/
); the Welcome window displays (see figure 4).
Figure 4. BSS API Explorer Welcome window
2. Log in to BSS API Explorer as the Vendor Administrator:
a) Click the Login link and select the Environment, for example, “Daily2”.
b) Select “Basic Auth” for the Auth Type.
c) Enter the Vendor Admin ID and password; click Login.
3. Create a Customer:
a) Click the Customer Management link, select Register Customer, and then Load Template (see figure 5).Figure 5. Customer Management window
b) Enter the new customer's email ID (mandatory) and change the Org name, FamilyName, and other fields, if needed.
c) Click Execute API; the output will be the Org ID.
4. Now that a Customer has been created by the Vendor, we can add subscriptions to the organization through the BSS UI or API Explorer. To add subscriptions for the customer through API Explorer:
a) Click the Subscription Management link, select Create Subscription, and then Load Template.
b) Replace the data in the Customer ID field with the above Org's ID; click Execute API.
The Vendor created a Customer and added a subscription to the Customer Organization. The Customer Admin can now log in and start creating subscribers to the Organization.
Setting branding data using the Vendor Admin
The Vendor Admin can set branding data such as the Org name, address, email address, home URL, privacy URL, and the data will appear for the Vendor's customers. To do this:
Figure 6. Brand Identity window
- Log in as the Vendor Admin and click the Brand Identity Link.
- Click Edit, enter all branding details, and click Save (see figure 6).
Once the Vendor Admin has set the brand identity details, the Vendor Customer can see those details in footer links, in the page titles, support links, etc.
Setting the logo using Vendor Admin
The Vendor Admin can set a logo for the navigation pane and the Login and Reset Password pages, after which the Vendor Customers can see it when they log in. The Vendor Customer Admin can also set a logo for the navigation bar. The Vendor Customer Admin's theming setting overrides Vendor Admin's theming settings.
To do this:
Figure 7. Theme window
- Log in as the Vendor Admin and click the Theme link in the left-hand navigation pane.
- Click Change link for Logo, upload the logo, and save it (see figure 7).
DSW is an ordering and billing system in which users with a CSG role can create an order. To create a DSW order, a user must fill in four forms: Customer information, Create Order, Configure part, and Review and submit:
- In the Customer information window, the CSG enters information about the customer such as Name, Address, and Phone number.
- In the Create Order window, enter the Order number and, optionally, the sales person's email ID.
- In the Configure part window, enter the part number for the subscription, the number of user accounts needed, terms of duration, etc.
- The Review and submit form shows the customer information, order information, and the subscription details entered in the ordering flow. The user can edit the information, if needed, by clicking the Edit link on this form and then clicks the Submit button, to process the DSW order.
Creating a DSW order
Follow these steps to create a DSW order:
Figure 8. Customer information window
- Log in as CSG, and click Administration --- Manage Accounts.
- Select DSW from the Create Order drop-down list; click Submit.
- The Customer information window displays; enter the details and click Next (see figure 8).
4. Enter the Order number in the Create Order window and click Next (see figure 9).
Figure 9. Create Order window
5. Enter the details for the Configure part window; click Next (see figure 10).
Figure 10. Configure part window
6. The Review and submit window displays (see figure 11); click the Submit button. The DSW order is created.
Figure 11. Review and submit window
Features of DSW
DSW includes features such as Add-on, Trade-up, and Ramp-up that users can select in the DSW Order type drop-down list in the Configure part window (see figure 12). By default the order type is “New”, which is used to create new subscription for the customer.
Use this option to add a quantity, change the Charge type, billing frequency, and renewal options for the existing subscription.
Use this option to trade up the existing subscription to any compatible subscription.
. Use this option to enter multiple ramps and ramp information such as quantity and terms. It is used to increase the number of users over the period of the subscription.
Figure 12. Order type options
You should be now familiar with how Reseller works and the steps to create a DSW order. With the help of the re-branding feature, a Reseller can sell IBM SmartCloud products as their own.
Tell us what you think
Please visit this link to take a one-question survey about this article:
IBM SmartCloud for Social Business product page:
developerWorks Social Business development web site:
About the author
Nisha E Kuriakose is a Tester currently working on the functional verification testing of the BSS UI, before which she worked on IBM Lotus SmartSuite. She has roughly six years of experience in software testing. Nisha can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.