Using an ideation blog in your community
Create an Ideation Blog so your community can contribute and vote on ideas from the community.
An Ideation Blog is a type of blog specifically designed to generate ideas on a particular topic and then collect feedback to get consensus on the best ideas. An Ideation Blog can only exist within a community and membership is limited to the community, but you can manage the settings for an Ideation Blog from your My Blogs page. As the owner of an Ideation Blog you can:
- Allow your members to contribute ideas
- Encourage participants to vote for their favorite ideas
- Graduate ideas that your community wants to promote
- Freeze the Ideation Blog so that no more ideas, votes, or comments are accepted
- Unfreeze an Ideation Blog so it can accept ideas, comments and votes
- Manage the settings for the Ideation Blog
What to do next
1. From your community's overview page, choose Community Actions > Customize.
2. Select Ideation Blog.
3. Click Create Your First Idea to add an idea to the blog.
4. Click Vote to vote for an idea you support. If you change your mind about an idea you voted for, click Voted to cancel your vote.
Note: The number of votes each participant can cast is configurable from the Settings page for the blog. Participants can cast unlimited votes or be limited to a specified number. Status messages track the number of votes used and the number of votes available.
5. Click Add a Comment to comment on an idea.
6. When you decide that an idea has enough support from the community, click Graduate. You have the option to create an activity to further develop the idea. If you change your mind about a graduated idea, open the idea and select Cancel Graduation.
7. To review activity in the Ideation Blog, choose one of the following views from the navigation pane:
- All Ideas shows all ideas that have been contributed to the Ideation Blog, including graduated ideas.
- Graduated Ideas to view ideas you have graduated.
- My Votes shows the ideas you have voted for.
To search for an idea or a comment in an Ideation Blog, choose one of the following search scopes in the search bar:
Managing an Ideation Blog
- This Ideation Blog to search for a string in the Ideation Blog that is currently open.
- Public Ideation blogs to search for a string in an Ideation Blog in public communities.
- Public Ideas to search for a string in an idea in public communities.
- My Ideas to search for a string in ideas you have contributed.
- This Ideation Blog's Comments to search for a string in the comments in the Ideation Blog that is currently open.
Manage your Ideation Blog to effectively control idea creation and voting.
An Ideation Blog must be created within a community. Membership is restricted to the community membership. You must be an owner of an Ideation Blog to manage it.
1. To freeze the creation of new ideas for the Ideation Blog, click Ideation Blog Actions > Stop Idea Creation. Users will no longer be allowed to contribute ideas but they can still vote for and comment on existing ideas in the blog.
2. To completely freeze the Ideation Blog, click Ideation Blog Actions > Freeze Ideation Blog. Users will not be able to contribute new ideas or vote for or comment on existing ideas.
3. To manage settings for the Ideation Blog, click Ideation Blog Actions > Manage Ideation Blog. In addition to managing the settings that are common for all blogs, you can also control voting:
- Choose Unlimited voting to allow members to vote as many times as they like.
- Choose Set a voting limit to restrict the number of votes each member can cast to the number you specify.