IBM SmartCloud Notes
) provides a mail file template catalog from which to choose templates to apply to user mail files. You can choose from a list of standard templates or design a custom template to add to the catalog. If none of the standard mail file templates meet your needs, you can develop a custom mail file template for use by your company only. IBM Software Services for Collaboration (ISSC)
must approve and upload to your catalog any custom template to ensure it meets design requirements that minimize risk to the SmartCloud Notes
service. You can apply your custom templates to new or existing users, and during provisioning of migrated users.
In addition to customizing the mail template, you can use an extension forms file to customize the visual theme, fonts, the action bar, and other aspects of the web client
To learn about deploying extension forms files in the service, see Using extension forms files to customize the look of the web client
Custom templates are not supported for the IBM SmartCloud Notes
After completing this exercise, you should be able to:
Parent topic: Additional Advanced Topics
- Use the SmartCloud Notes Administration panel to download a mail template to use as a base for customization
- Upload an approved custom template to make it available for your company user mail files
- Apply a custom mail template to an existing or new users mail file
Procedure A: Making a custom mail template available
To be approved for use with SmartCloud Notes
, a custom mail template must meet specific design requirements. Refer to the procedure Preparing to use custom mail file template
for the required steps to design and deploy a customized mail template.
- Log onto the service using the e-mail address and password of a user with the Administrator role.
- If your user account also has the User role, click Administration -> Manage Organization at the top of the dashboard. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Click Lotus Notes.
Note: The options available to you may differ from those shown, depending on the services to which you have subscribed.
- Click Mail Templates.
- Click Standard Mail Templates.
- Select a mail template from the list that you would like to customize. Select Download and save the template file to your machine. Important: You must base your custom template off the Lotus® Notes 8.5.1 , Lotus Notes 8.5.2 or the Lotus Notes 8.5.3 version of the mail Template. These templates will be found on different pages of the Standard Mail Templates list.
- Make desired changes to the mail template. Refer to IBM SmartCloud Notes Template Validation Requirements for the required steps to perform on a custom mail template.
- Once you have completed the changes to the template, be sure to test the template in your company environment to ensure that it functions as intended.
You should contact an IBM Software Services for Collaboration (ISSC)
representative a few weeks prior to the date you expect to complete in house testing of the template. This prior notice ensures that ISSC is prepared to validate the template soon after receiving it. An IBM
employee may send in a template for analysis on behalf of the customer.
When you have completed your testing, you will mail the template to IBM
ISSC for validation. However, first review these important points:
- Once ISSC has approved the template and uploaded it to the SmartCloud Notes template catalog, your company administrator can access the template. To verify, log in and select Administration -> Lotus Notes -> Mail Templates -> Custom Mail Templates. The new template should display.
Procedure B: Apply a custom mail template to a user's mail file
- To apply this template to a specific user's mail file, select Administration -> Lotus Notes. Under Users and Groups, click Users.
- Locate a specific user entry or select multiple user entries that will have the new template applied to their mail file. For this exercise, click one of the names to display the user record.
- When the user record displays, record the replica ID of the Mail Template currently being used. You will reference this ID in step 9 to verify that a new template has been properly applied.
- Select the Back button in your browser to return to the Users page. Check the box next to the user(s) to receive the new template and select Apply Mail Template.
- The next page shows a list of available mail templates where the template currently selected is bold and the new customized template sorts at the top. Click Select left of the new custom template.
- The new template is now in bold and ready to be applied. Select Apply Mail Template.
- Verify the selected template and the user(s). When satisfied, select Confirm.
- You should receive a message that the mail template has been applied successfully. Click Continue.
- Now go back to the Users screen and select the same user chosen in step 2. Open the user record and compare the replica ID of the Mail Template now being used. It should be different than the one previously recorded in step 3.
- The mail file is now ready to be used. Have the user log in and confirm the customized design changes that were applied.
- While this example demonstrated the application of a customized template being applied to an existing SmartCloud Notes user, a customized template may also be applied during user provisioning.