|This topic offers some basic troubleshooting steps for password problems, as well as some tips for password creation.
It can be frustrating when you are trying to log in to IBM SmartCloud and your password is not recognized, especially when you are certain that you are using your correct password. After your initial attempt to log in does not work, you have nine more opportunities to try again before you are locked out. Once you are locked out, you have to wait at least three minutes before you can try logging in again. Before you reach that point, stop and check the following things that might be preventing your authentication with IBM SmartCloud.
- Is the CAPS LOCK key on? Passwords in IBM SmartCloud are case-sensitive, so although you are pressing the correct key, you might be entering the wrong case.
- If your web browser is configured to remember passwords for sites, try clearing your saved passwords. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options - Content - AutoComplete. In Firefox, click Tools - Options - Saved Passwords.
- If you are still having problems, try switching to another browser.
If these steps fail, contact Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you change your password, you cannot reuse the last eight passwords that you have used. Your administration has the option of requiring you to change your password every 30, 60 or 90 days. To prevent your password from being compromised, follow these tips:
- Long password are more secure than short ones. The minimum password length is eight characters. Aim for at least a 12 character password
- Mix it up. Use numbers, special characters, and upper and lower case alphabetic characters. Passwords must contain at least one non-alphabetic and at least four alphabetic characters, but cannot contain any spaces.
- Passwords cannot contain three or more repeated characters, but try not to repeat ANY characters.
- Don't use obvious passwords:
- Numbers and letters that follow a pattern (a-b-c, 1-2-3).
- A row on your keyboard or keypad.
- Common words or a word that you can find in the dictionary.
- Personal information. You cannot use your given name or surname, or your email address in a password, but don't use any easily identifiable personal information: pet names, names of family members, your street name or address, your organization name, favorite team, or a nickname.