In this scenario, we demonstrate how quickly and easily an organization can implement a new stand-alone IBM SmartCloud environment, including a brief overview of some of the features included.
If you do not have an existing email infrastructure that you want to either migrate from, or integrate with an IBM Smart Cloud for Social Business environment, then one of the quickest and easiest ways to begin your cloud journey is to use the no-charge trial service. This enables you to create a new SmartCloud for Social Business environment that you can use for 60 days as pilot and proof of concept to evaluate the service. It is entirely no charge to use and does not require any billing information (for example, credit card) to set up. The trial reviewer guide is also available
which introduces you to the different features included, and helps you get the most from your trial experience.
It should be noted that, by default, the no-charge trial service only lasts for 60 days after which all of the data is automatically deleted. However, if you know it is likely that you would like your trial to become a production service in the future, then you can also request a customized trial from your IBM Sales Representative. This will enable you to retain your trial environment and associated data for future use when converted to a paid subscription.
If you prefer to start off with a fully functional production account, you can also buy on-line by clicking Buy Online
on the main IBM SmartCloud for Social Business portal:
Based on the country of choice, you see slightly different information after the following page:
If we would continue to buy an IBM SmartCloud Engage Advanced package in Europe, you would see:
You then sign in to IBM account, review the term, order and submit the order.
To provide you with a reference, we show a "Self Service" implementation with a 60 Day Trial account using IBM SmartCloud Engage Advanced subscriptions.
The following steps provide a guide on how to create a trial SmartCloud for Social Business environment and how to access some of the key features:
- Use a web browser to navigate to the IBM SmartCloud for Social Business website and click 60 Day Trial.
- Select your country or region from the drop down menu and click Continue.
- Enter the requested details and click Submit. Note that the email address you enter in the first two fields should be an existing email account you want your registration details to be sent to and will become your login ID used to access the SmartCloud for Social Business environment. The IBM SmartCloud for Social Business email address you enter in the last field will be the new email address that you will use in the SmartCloud for Social Business environment:
- After you click submit, you see a new page confirming your SmartCloud for Social Business environment has been created. However, before you can start using it, you must click an activation link included in a “welcome email” that will be sent to your existing email address that you specified in your registration details.
- When you receive the welcome email, click the Click here to complete your registration link that is contained within it.
- The link will open in a new browser page where you must specify the password you wish to use to log into your SmartCloud for Social Business environment and accept the terms and conditions of usage.
- After you click Submit, you are presented with the login window for your new SmartCloud for Social Business environment. Enter the credentials you specified as part of your registration to authenticate.
- After you are logged in, you are presented with the home page:
- A good place to find lots of useful documentation and guides is in the Getting Started section. These include examples of how to perform common tasks and will help you become more familiar with your new SmartCloud for Social Business environment.
- After you have read the initial documentation, we recommend you update your profile to ensure all your details are present and correct. This will help others in your SmartCloud for Social Business environment find you.
More information on getting started in your SmartCloud for Social Business environment, including completing your profile and other initial configuration steps can be found here .
- Your new SmartCloud for Social Business environment implementation may include an integrated email service called SmartCloud Notes, which is accessed through the Mail link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner. When you first log into your new SmartCloud for Social Business mail account as the Administrator, you will have received two emails which provide more details of how to use it and how to register additional users.
More information about using SmartCloud Notes is available here.
SmartCloud Notes also includes an integrated Instant Messaging tool called Sametime Chat which enables real time collaboration. You can chat interactively with anyone else who is using the Sametime Chat tool. Using Sametime Chat is optional and each user must first enable it through their SmartCloud Notes preferences.
When enabled, the Sametime client is automatically integrated into SmartCloud Notes and users can click other users to chat with them.
More information about using SmartCloud Sametime Chat is available here.
- An integrated calendar is also provided, accessed similarly using the Calendar link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner:
- The People link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner enables you to manage your own profile details and provides a Contacts manager (address book):
The People link also provides access to the directory of all the users in your SmartCloud for Social Business environment. You can use the directory for sending email other users, or to invite them to your network for the purposes of collaborating (sharing updates, documents, etc.).
More information about using the People tool is available here.
- The Communities link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner provides access to the Communities tool. Communities is designed to enable people who share a common interest or goal (such as project team) to interact with one another to facilitate communication and collaboration.
More information about using the Communities tool is available here .
- The Apps link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner provides access to the sub menu of all the different applications that are included in your new SmartCloud for Social Business environment:
If you are logged into SmartCloud for Social Business with an account that Administrator privileges, you are also able to use the Admin link on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner that provides access to administration section of your SmartCloud for Social Business environment. One of the main functions this provides is Manage Organization which is used to manage the different account customization and security options that are available for your SmartCloud for Social Business environment.
- Activities is a tool that enables people involved in a project to share information, assign tasks, track progress, and share resources such as files, and bookmarked websites to help facilitate teaming and collaboration on shared goals and objectives.
More information about using the Activities tool is available here .
- Files is a tool that enables users to easily store, share, and collaborate on files in your SmartCloud for Social Business environment, by uploading a document and sharing it with a team of people or an individual.
More information about using the Files tool is available here.
- The Files application also provides access to SmartCloud Docs, which is an integrated office productivity suite for creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Not only does it replace the need to have traditional office productivity applications installed on local PCs, but it also enables team to collaborate directly on documents created and stored in your SmartCloud for Social Business environment.
More information about using the Docs tool is available here.
- Meetings is a tool that provides online meetings, enabling user to either join an existing meeting or host their own and includes both screen and file sharing capabilities.
More information about using the Meetings tool is available here.
- Notebook is a tool for creating simple note documents which is included as part of IBM SmartCloud Notes.
- To Do is a task management tool that enables you to create, manage, and track To Do items, including the ability to assign them to other group members to help facilitate team working.
- There are also a number of additional applications that are available to download and run locally that can be accessed through Apps > Downloads and Setup on the SmartCloud for Social Business web page banner.
The applications that are available to download are:
- Sametime Chat:
As well as using the cloud based Sametime Chat client that is integrated into Smart Cloud Notes, you can optionally use a dedicated desktop based client as well. This can either be an existing client that is already install on a user’s desktop (such as an existing Lotus Notes client) which is configured to work with SmartCloud for Social Business, or you can chose to purchase, download and install a dedicated Sametime client. Mobile application versions of the chat client for Apple and Android devices can also be downloaded from here.
- IBM SmartCloud Notes:
The IBM SmartCloud Notes download provides a set of databases that can be used to configure an existing IBM Notes Client already installed on a user’s local PC to connect to your IBM SmartCloud for Social Business environment.
By default, the download option for IBM SmartCloud Notes is not included in the no-charge trial. However, if you wish to test this functionality as part of your trial, you can request that it be enabled through your IBM Sales representative.
- IBM Connections Desktop Plug-in:
There are two different plug-ins that can be downloaded and installed on local desktop machines that provide integration with your SmartCloud for Social Business environment. One is for Microsoft Windows and the other is for Microsoft Office.
The following features are available from Microsoft Windows plug-in:
The following features are available from Microsoft Office plug-in:
- Upload local files from Windows Explorer or from your desktop
- Share uploaded files with people, communities, or folders in IBM Connections
- Work on files locally and publish them to Files, communities, Activities, or Wikis
- View people's contact details and get in touch with them (Not available on SmartCloud)
- Pin, follow, or like files and folders
- View or contribute comments for a file
- Lock a file when you are editing it to prevent file conflicts
- View and restore files from the trash
- Share folders with Communities
- Add a document to Files or Communities
- Attach a document to an Activity or Wiki page
- Publish a document to a Blog entry
- Search for content in IBM Connections
- Add someone's profile information into a document
- Add a bookmark from IBM Connections into a document
- Add a URL from a document as a bookmark in IBM Connections
- Add a presentation to Files or Communities
- Attach a presentation to an Activity or Wiki page
- Search for content in IBM Connections Add a spreadsheet to Files or Communities
- Attach a spreadsheet to an Activity or Wiki page
- Search for content in IBM Connections
- The Discuss This and Related Community web browser buttons:
These are two optional buttons that can be downloaded and installed into the tool bar of your local web browser to provide additional integration functions with SmartCloud for Social Business:
- Discuss This: Enables you to add content from any web page or IBM SmartCloud Connections source to a forum topic by clicking the button in your browser tool bar.
- Related Community: Enables you to share information with members of a community that your already belong to when you find a community that they might also be interested in.
More information about the different Administration settings is available here.
One of the main administration functions available from the Admin > Manage Organization link is User Accounts, which is where all user provisioning related tasks are performed such as adding and deleting users:
You can create a new account for a user from User Accounts. This will grant them access to your SmartCloud for Social Business environment, including a new email account. To create a new account, simply click Add User Account and then complete the necessary fields.
At the end of the Add New user process, a summary window is displayed showing all the details of the new user account you have created.
All you then need to do to complete the provisioning of the new user is provide the user details of their new email address, which is also their logon ID, and the password you created for them. Then they can log into and start using your SmartCloud for Social Business environment using those details by simply pointing their web browser to http://www.ibmcloud.com/social and clicking Sign In :