The first task is completed by doing the following:
- Creating a new local IBM Lotus Notes database based on the discussion template.
- Creating documents in this discussion database.
In later tasks in this example, you enhance this Notes discussion database to be used in a two component composite application that supplies inter-component communication through the property broker functionality.
Example 1 - Simple composite application creation using Lotus Notes components
Tasks described in the simple composite application example
Creating a new Notes form with an embedded view
Creating a new local Notes database based on the discussion template
Complete the following steps to create the new discussion database.
- Start Lotus Notes
- Click File > Application > New.
Result: The New Database dialog appears.
Note: If File > Application is not a menu option, open the Home page by using the Open launcher then selecting Home.
- Leave the Server field value at 'Local'.
- Type "MyDiscussion" in the Title field.
- Type "MyDiscussion.nsf" in the File Name field.
- In the Template list, click Discussion > Notes & Web (7) in the Template
- Deselect the 'Inherit future design changes' option.
Note: Your new database will not inherit changes from the template and the design changes you make in later lessons will not be overwritten.
- Click OK to close the New Database dialog and create the new database.
The new database is created and the About this Application page is displayed in your Lotus Notes client.
- Close the window tab titled About MyDiscussion. The default view of the newly created Notes application, MyDiscussion.nsf, appears in your Lotus Notes client.
You have completed the first of the two procedures in this task.
Next, you will create documents in this new discussion database. These documents must have values in the Subject
fields to successfully complete the later tasks.
Creating documents in your new discussion database
Complete the following steps to create documents in your discussion database.
- In your Lotus Notes client, click File > Open > Lotus Notes Application.
- Choose My Discussion from the options and click Open.
- Click New Main Topic in the action bar. The Main Topic form appears. This is where you will specify the field values for the Subject and Category fields in the new document.
- Type "Subject1" in the Subject field.
- Type "Category1" in the Category field.
- Click Save & Close in the action bar.
Result: The document is saved and you are returned to the Notes view.
- Repeat the previous steps until there are four documents in the database. The documents should have the following field values:
Subject valueCategory value
- Switch to the By Category view in the left pane to display your four documents listed by category field value.
You now have a new Notes discussion database with documents that have values in the subject and categories fields. You will use this database and the documents later in this example to demonstrate inter-component communication in a composite application.