Dave R Wait 3.May.10 08:37 AM a Web browser Notes/Web browser client 6.5.1 Windows 2003
We started getting an error around Dec 09 on some documents when viewed through an IE 7 browser. The error is "Http Web Server: Item Not Found Exception". This occurs on sporadic documents and has happened on all of our doc and binder types. We are able to view these documents via the Notes client, just not through the browser. The strange thing is that other documents of the same doc and binder type work just fine. If we edit and resave the 'broken' document through the Notes client, it will work in the browser again, for a while, and then 'breaks' again.
Although the doc and binder types we are using are considered customizations, I don't believe that is the issue as we have not made any changes to the template since mid 2008 and this just started happening in Dec of 2009.
We have also compared properties of working vs broken documents and even compared it after a 'fix', but didn't find anything different.