Depending on your screen size and resolution, Firefox might not display the right edge of this page.
Some folks have asked about enabling Notes user upgrade using a combination of the following three elements, so we assembled this post to help those folks, and others, interested in doing one or more of these tasks:
-- Customizing the Notes install kit to remove a supplied feature
-- Upgrading to Notes 8.x using the SURUNAS Smart Upgrade method
-- Enabling Notes client single logon
The information in this post is primarily a compilation of existing information as cited.
Customizing the Notes install kit to remove a supplied feature
Instructions for customizing the Notes install kit reside in the following Domino Administrator help
-- Reducing the Notes install kit size
-- Removing features from the Notes install kit using a supplied tool
-- Customizing the Notes install manifest for supplied Eclipse features
Note: The AddToKit and TrimUpdateSite tools were omitted from the kit but can be easily downloaded from Tech Note 1366669 "Obtaining Notes 8.5 addToKit.exe and trimUpdateSite.exe tools
" as mentioned in the Notes and Domino wiki
Your modified Notes install kit, consisting of the kit's modified deploy\install.xml manifest and possibly modified updateSite\features and updateSite\plugins, will be available for any supported install/upgrade/deployment method including command line install/upgrade, GUI-based install/upgrade, SmartUpgrade or SURUNAS.
Simple instructions for removing a supplied feature, such as the composite applications editor, from the install kit are as follows:
Note: Of the Lotus-supplied features, only IBM Lotus Symphony, Sametime, and Composite Application Editor features can be removed from the install kit.
1. Log in to your desktop using your administrator account login and password.
2. Locate the Notes install kit that you want to use in the upgrade and copy it to your local desktop, for example copy the AllClient.msi.w32 folder to your C:\tmp folder.
3. Change to the Notes install kit folder (for example AllClient.msi.w32) and open the deploy\install.xml file in an HTML editor.
4. Delete the entire entry for the for the CAE shown as description="%CAE.description" id="CAE" ... as follows:
+ <installfeature default="false" description="%CAE.description" id="CAE" name="%CAE.name" required="false" show="true" version="188.8.131.5290301.0130">
Note: Of the file's entries only the Composite Application Editor, Activities, and Symphony (Editors) can be removed - all others must remain as part of the install kit.
5. Save and close the deploy\install.xml file.
Upgrading to Notes 8.x using the SURUNAS Smart Upgrade method
Instructions for configuring Smart-Upgrade Run-As utility and Smart Upgrade reside in the following Domino Administrator help
For related information on using the Smart Upgrade Run-As wizard , see Lotus Tech Note 1247849
Run the SUSETRUNASWIZARD.EXE wizard, using the option to store the new executable in a self-contained package in the SURUNAS.EXE file, as follows:
Note: An issue exists when using silent install or Smart Upgrade in conjunction with install kits obtained from Passport Advantage. See Silent install or Smart Upgrade fails with 'Invalid command line parameter' for Notes 8.0.x and 8.5 (non-English versions)
1. Run the SUSETRUNASWIZARD.EXE file.
2. Choose to save the new executable in a self-contained package in the SURUNAS executable file, and then click Next.
3. Choose the files to be stored in the SURUNAS.EXE file. If the files you need are not listed, click Add Files, and then browse to and select the files. When you have selected the files you need, click Next.
4. Specify any command line options that you are using, and then click Next.
/w command line argument when using Smart Upgrade Run-As.
Command line options are listed in both the Domino Administrator help topic
and the tech note
5. Specify the path where SURUNAS.EXE is to be stored, and then click Next.
6. Review the wizard summary information.
Note: For future needs, you can save your current wizard settings by clicking "Save all settings on exit" and then click Next.
7. Click Finish, and then click Done.
Once the SURUNAS file is created, you can push it to users with SmartUpgrade. The wizard embeds a command line into the surunas.exe, so there are no additional command line options to be documented. See the Using Notes Smart Upgrade
section of Domino Administrator help for next steps.
Note: It is not currently possible to leverage existing Lotus utilities to repackage a customized Notes install kit as a single self extracting executable for use with the SURUNAS Smart Upgrade method. However, there are several 3rd party utilities that can be used, such as Winzip.
-- Enabling Notes client single logon
Instructions for enabling Notes client single logon reside in the following Domino Administrator help
Simple instructions for upgrading the user with Notes client single logon enabled are as follows:
Note: These instructions are for using the UI-based Notes installation executable. For incorporation with a non-UI install or upgrade, you need to use a transform to enable the Client Single Logon feature in conjunction with the silent install. Information about creating and using a transform file is available in Customizing Notes install using the tuner
1. Start the Notes install/upgrade executable.
2. Click Custom Setup and enable the"Client Single Logon Feature" option in the Custom Setup dialog.Install and upgrade considerations:
3. When install/upgrade is complete, restart Notes and change your Notes password to match your Windows OS password.
4. Exit Notes and restart your computer.
5. When prompted, log in to your computer using your Windows password.
6. Start Notes; you should not be prompted for a password.
-- Windows Vista platform:
Caveats specific to install/upgrade on a Windows Vista workstation in which UAC ON/OFF controls are in play are available in existing Lotus Tech Notes
, Notes 8.0.1 release notes
, and the Domino Administrator help
via Search facilities. Essentially, Notes should be installed with UAC ON. If you installed Notes with UAC OFF, uninstall that version with UAC OFF, switch UAC to ON, and then reinstall Notes. See Windows Vista considerations for Notes install, upgrade, and uninstall
for more information.
-- Misc platform:
are available in Domino Administrator help.
See these sites to learn more about Notes client install and upgrade:
Domino Administrator help
Lotus Support Site
Notes and Domino wiki