To read and post messages to Internet newsgroups (also known as USENET groups), you need a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) newsgroup account.
To create a newsgroup account in Standard Notes, click File > Preferences > Basic Notes Client Configuration > Client Reconfiguration Wizard
, select Newsgroup server (NNTP)
, and answer the questions. You can also choose this command at any time to edit your account.
In Basic Notes, click File > Preferences > User Preferences > Client Reconfiguration Wizard
, select Newsgroup server (NNTP)
, and answer the questions to create a newsgroup account. You can also choose this command at any time to edit your account.
If you don't want IBM Lotus Notes to set up your account, you can create or edit an account manually, but letting the wizard do the configuration is more convenient and accurate.Note:
Newsgroup servers typically don't require a login name and password. Enter values for these fields only if you are certain that access to your server is authenticated or if you get authentication errors when trying to access the server. Check your Internet service provider (ISP) Help or call your ISP customer service for information on login information your newsgroup server requires.
When Notes creates your newsgroup account, it also creates a local newsgroup (proxy) application called Internet Newsgroups. The application is called a "proxy" because it represents information stored on the newsgroup server, instead of storing actual newsgroup messages locally and using up space on your computer.
To work interactively with a newsgroup server
To open the local newsgroup application, click File > Open > Lotus Notes Application
, select the Internet Newsgroups
application, and click Open
When you're connected to the Internet, opening your newsgroup application connects to your newsgroup server and opens an Outbox folder to store your messages. You can subscribe to groups, read messages, respond to messages, or create your own messages.
To subscribe to a newsgroup and read newsgroup messages
To join a newsgroup discussion, subscribe to one or more newsgroups that interest you.
- Open the newsgroup application.
- Click Newsgroups. The Newsgroups dialog box shows a list of newsgroups available on your newsgroup server.
- Optional: Click Show only subscribed newsgroups. For example, if you are looking for a newsgroup to which you want to unsubscribe, clicking this button makes it easier to find that newsgroup in the list.
- Optional: Search for a newsgroup name that contains text you specify by clicking Show only names containing text, typing text in the box that displays, and clicking Search Now. For example, you could type "garden" to find the newsgroup rec.gardens.
- Select a newsgroup and click Subscribe.
- When you click OK, Notes creates a folder for that newsgroup. Click the folder and start browsing the messages in it.
To post to a newsgroup
- Open the newsgroup application and click the newsgroup to post in.
- To create a new message on a new topic, click New Main Topic, type a subjec t and post content, and then click Post Topic.
- To respond to an existing message, select the message, click Response, type your response content, and click Post Response.
- You can post newsgroup messages as HTML by changing your Internet news format preference.
To refresh newsgroup informationIf you work with a newsgroup for a long session without closing and re-opening the newsgroup application, new information may become available on the server. Click Refresh Summaries to see new information.