Users can take certain actions on widgets in the My Widgets panel, as seen by right-clicking on a widget. Sometimes these actions are not available for execution (disabled). Some actions can become disabled by policy or when the widget is a 'managed' widget (a 'managed' widget is a widget that was installed from the Widget Catalog that is configured in the user's Widgets preference page - it is considered managed because you are able to get automatic updates for that widget). Below we discuss the differences of a managed widget and an unmanaged widget, assuming no policies are disabling actions.
There are different ways to install a widget. The actions that you can take on a widget depend on the install method.
When you install a widget that is not from the configured catalog (an unmanaged widget), you will see the following actions available when right clicking on the widget:
In this case:
- 'Publish to Catalog' will be only enabled if you have configured a catalog in the Widgets preference page.
- 'Configure a New Action' will only be enabled if the widget has one or more preferences.
- 'Open in Dashboard' is enabled if you selected two or more widgets.
- All other actions are always enabled.
Note: 'Hide' and 'Export' are new to the right-click menu in 8.5.3.
There are additional restrictions when using a 'managed' widget.
- When you drag and drop a widget from your configured catalog, the widget will become managed individually. In this case:
- 'Publish to Catalog' will be disabled as you cannot re-publish a widget.1
- 'Properties' will be disabled as you cannot edit the properties of a managed widget.
- When you select to install a category of widgets from your configured catalog in the Widgets preference page, the widget will become managed as part of the category of widgets. In this case:
- 'Publish to Catalog' will be disabled as you cannot re-publish a widget.
- 'Properties' will be disabled as you cannot edit the properties of a managed widget.1
- 'Remove' will be disabled as you cannot remove this widget individually as it is managed as part of the category.
As of 8.5.3, the 'Properties' action will be enabled for managed widgets.