This instrucctions are to syncronize a Blackberry Device with Lotus Notes 8.x using a USB cable.
The idea is to replicate contacts, ToDo List, Calendar and the Personal Journal.
This is not an online replication or push, it is a syncronization between the PC with Lotus Notes with Windows XP and the Blackberry device attached with an USB Cable. The Blackberry do not require a Data Transfer Service Plan to make this syncronization. Requirements
- Windows XP
- Lotus Notes 8.5 for Windows
- Blackberry Desktop Software 4.7 for Windows
We start with a configured and working Lotus Notes desktop installed on a Windows PC. Them we proced to install the Blackberry Desktop application.
Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software
- Start Blackberry Desktop setup program, select the language you want to see the installer and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the Installation Directory and you can choose "Typical" installation
- The "Integration Options" question will show up. Select "Integrate with a work email account"
- Select "for IBM Lotus Domino (typically used with IBM Lotus Notes)
- Them select "Next" and keep going with the installation.
If you already have the Blackberry Desktop Software installed and you didn't select "Integrate with a work email account" you can make a "Repair" of the installation on Windows Control Panel, "Add and Remove Software".Replication Options
Once you have the Blackberry Desktop Software installed open the "Blackberry Desktop" by clicking it's icon.
- You will see a "Lotus Notes Login" windows. Add your password and check for the information to be correct.
- If you dont have a Blackberry Server, just click "No" on the "Error finding server" box.
- On the Blackberry Desktop Main Manu go to "Synchronize"
- On the "Synchronize" page click the "Synchronize" button to start the process.
- The sync process will start, it will syncronize the Address Book, Calendar, ToDo list and it will ask you where is your personal journal database (point it to the nsf file you use as personal journal)
If you make an update to any record on the device or Lotus notes. On the next synchronization it will ask you which record should survive on both devices. You can also configure some advanced options to always have a default device (the phone or Lotus Notes) to solve this sync conflics/updates.
This picture shows that I had made a change on a record. I had change its category on Lotus Notes and on the device it is not updated. Just select the record that you want to survive on both devices and click continue.
At the end it will ask you to confirm the changed on the address book.
Blackberry Desktop Software Crash when synchronizing Lotus Notes Caledar.
ok, Blackberry Desktop Software isn't perfect. It has some flaws that had to be fixed by the RIM people.
If Blackberry Desktop Software crash when it try to sync the Lotus Notes Calendar, try disabling the Attendees sync:
- On the main manu selected "Synchronize" Them
- Click the "Synchronization" button.
- Selected calendar from Intellisync Menu and clicked "Advanced" them
- Disabled the arrow between "Attendees <-> Meeting
Attendees". Press "OK".