Deploying a Notes custom install using the surunas upgrade method and enabling Notes client single logonAdded by Pam Gilday | Edited by Pam Gilday on August 19, 2009 | Version 30
Run the SUSETRUNASWIZARD.EXE wizard, using the option to store the new executable in a self-contained package in the SURUNAS.EXE file, as follows:
Note: An issue exists when using silent install or Smart Upgrade in conjunction with install kits obtained from Passport Advantage. See Silent install or Smart Upgrade fails with 'Invalid command line parameter' for Notes 8.0.x and 8.5 (non-English versions) for details.
1. Run the SUSETRUNASWIZARD.EXE file.
2. Choose to save the new executable in a self-contained package in the SURUNAS executable file, and then click Next.
3. Choose the files to be stored in the SURUNAS.EXE file. If the files you need are not listed, click Add Files, and then browse to and select the files. When you have selected the files you need, click Next.
4. Specify any command line options that you are using, and then click Next. Domino Administrator help topic and the tech note cited above.
Use the /w command line argument when using Smart Upgrade Run-As.
Command line options are listed in both the
5. Specify the path where SURUNAS.EXE is to be stored, and then click Next.
6. Review the wizard summary information.
Note: For future needs, you can save your current wizard settings by clicking "Save all settings on exit" and then click Next.
7. Click Finish, and then click Done.
Once the SURUNAS file is created, you can push it to users with SmartUpgrade. The wizard embeds a command line into the surunas.exe, so there are no additional command line options to be documented. See the Using Notes Smart Upgrade section of Domino Administrator help for next steps.
Note: It is not currently possible to leverage existing Lotus utilities to repackage a customized Notes install kit as a single self extracting executable for use with the SURUNAS Smart Upgrade method. However, there are several 3rd party utilities that can be used, such as Winzip.
-- Enabling Notes client single logon
Instructions for enabling Notes client single logon reside in the following Domino Administrator help topics:
-- Using Notes client single logon to synchronize Notes and OS passwords in Domino Administrator help
-- Synchronizing your Windows password with your Notes password in Notes user help
Simple instructions for upgrading the user with Notes client single logon enabled are as follows:
Note: These instructions are for using the UI-based Notes installation executable. For incorporation with a non-UI install or upgrade, you need to use a transform to enable the Client Single Logon feature in conjunction with the silent install. Information about creating and using a transform file is available in Customizing Notes install using the tuner.
1. Start the Notes install/upgrade executable.
2. Click Custom Setup and enable the"Client Single Logon Feature" option in the Custom Setup dialog.
3. When install/upgrade is complete, restart Notes and change your Notes password to match your Windows OS password.
4. Exit Notes and restart your computer.
5. When prompted, log in to your computer using your Windows password.
6. Start Notes; you should not be prompted for a password.
Install and upgrade considerations:
-- Windows Vista platform:
Caveats specific to install/upgrade on a Windows Vista workstation in which UAC ON/OFF controls are in play are available in existing Lotus Tech Notes, Notes 8.0.1 release notes, and the Domino Administrator help via Search facilities. Essentially, Notes should be installed with UAC ON. If you installed Notes with UAC OFF, uninstall that version with UAC OFF, switch UAC to ON, and then reinstall Notes. See Windows Vista considerations for Notes install, upgrade, and uninstall for more information.
-- Misc platform:
Platform-specific Considerations are available in Domino Administrator help.
See these sites to learn more about Notes client install and upgrade:
Domino Administrator help
Lotus Support Site
Notes and Domino wiki