A button is a graphic that, when activated, launches an action. For example, you can send someone a document with a button in it that sends a reply back to you if the user clicks it.
You must be in a rich-text field (a field that allows text, objects, file attachments, and pictures) to create a button.
A button looks like this:
- While creating or editing a document, place your cursor in the area of the document to add a button.
- Click Create > Hotspot > Button. When you do this, a programmer's pane opens at the bottom of the window.
- Click the Button Info tab in the Button properties box.
- Enter the name of the button in the Label field, and the click the check mark to save.
- Depending on the length of text in your button, select Wrap label text as needed (default is selected).
- Select one of the following for button width:
In the Programmer's pane, select Simple action(s) from the second list, and then click Add Action.
Choose an action the hotspot should perform, and then click Add. For more information, see Table of simple agent actions
Click File > Save to save the hotspot's properties.
- Maximum Width -- (default) If the button label is less than the width you specify, the button is the width of the text. If the button label is greater than the specified width, the button is the specified width and text truncates. If button label is greater than the specified width and wrap text is enabled, the width is the value specified. If button label is greater than the specified width and wrap text is disabled, the button width expands to fit the label.
- Minimum Width -- the number of inches you enter; however, if Wrap label text as needed is not selected, the button's width expands to fit the label's text if it otherwise wouldn't fit. Text is centered. Minimum width allowed is .25 inches unless the label field is empty, then there is no minimum.
- Fixed Width -- the number of inches you enter, regardless of the size of the button label; however, if Wrap label text as needed is selected and the label does not fit in the specified width, the label text wraps to a new line. If Wrap label text as needed is not selected and the label does not fit in the specified width, the label text is truncated on pixel boundaries. Minimum width allowed is .25 inches unless the label field is empty, then there is no minimum.
- Fit Content -- creates the button size according to the button label.
- Fixed (chars) -- creates a fixed button width regardless of the font setting determined in User Preferences or the length of the button label. This is useful if you are creating multiple buttons in a table, for example, and want them all to be the same size regardless of the font that is set on a recipient's computer or the text that appears on the button itself.