ShowTable of Contents
If you are synchronizing contacts (or replicating & sync-ing), and you see the error "Sync aborted due to incorrect mail file," this article will help you troubleshoot the problem.
[screenshot of error in context]
Why am I getting this error
This error prevents you from synchronizing contacts with someone else's contacts. The error appears when the owner of the mail file who is synchronizing is different from the owner of the mail file whose contacts are being synced. For example, if Betty is manages Ted's mail, calendar, and contacts for him, and she tries to sync contacts for Ted. See below for other scenarios.
Reasons this could be happening
- You manage someone else's mail and calendar, and are synchronizing contacts in their mail file. You cannot synchronize another person's contacts for them.
- Your team has a public mail file, and you are logged into a location with that mail file.
- You own 2 Notes id files, and you have different location doc for each id and mail file.
Solving the problem
To solve the problem, make sure you are in a location where you are the owner of the mail file. To do this, follow these steps:
- Check the the lower right corner of Notes to see what your current location is
- Click File > Preferences (or File > Preferences > User Preferences). Then click Locations.
- Select the location that you saw in the lower right corner, and click Edit.
- If you are not the owner of the mail file in this location, switch to a location where you are the owner of the mail file, by clicking the location in the bottom right corner and selecting a different location, in which you are the owner of the mail file.
If that doesn't work, you can remove the following line from your notes.ini file, located in the Notes/Data folder on your computer:
Note: This ini is only present in Notes 8.5.4 and later.