SmartUpgrade can also be used to deploy non-versioned patches. One option is to deploy a Smart Update Kit document that points to a batch file, a command file, or a VB script that when executed, runs the installer for the latest Maintenance Release or Fix Pack followed by the patch zip file. If your clients are already running the latest Maintenance Release or Fix Pack, then you can deploy a non-versioned patch by listing a "placehoder" destination version in a Smart Upgrade Kit document. See below for details and examples of these options.
Option 2: You would this option when you need to upgrade clients to the latest Maintenance Release and/or Fix Pack and then also apply a non-versioned patch. The following example would upgrade 8.5.1 Fix Pack 2 clients to 8.5.1 Fix Pack 3 and also apply a non-versioned patch.
1. Copy the following sample code into a Notepad document and replace the sample location for the "8.5 IFP3 IBM Lotus Notes Standard 8.5FP3.exe" and the "non-versioned fix example.exe" with the network location of the Webkits accessible by your end-users.
2. Save the file as a .bat or .cmd file. (In this exmaple, we'll use the name "upgrade85FP3.cmd".)
Note: Be sure to save the file (upgrade85FP3.cmd) to a network location accessible by end-users. The location specified should match the location entered in the .bat or .cmd file.
3. In a new Smart Upgrade Kit document,
-- specify the Source Version as 8.5.1FP2 and the Destination Version as8.5.1FP3
-- point the kit to the file created in step 1(upgrade85FP3.cmd).
Option 2: Consider using this second option when you need to apply a patch to clients that have already been updated to the latest Fix Pack. For this example, let's say that the clients are already running 8.5.1 Fix Pack 3, which currently is the latest Fix Pack.
1. In a new Smart Upgrade Kit document, specify the Source Version as 8.5.1 FP3
and theDestination Version as 8.5.1 FP3plus
2. Attach the hotfix to the kit document and/or a shared network drive.
Smart Upgrade Tracking will report success as failure since Destination Version did not change to 8.5.1 FP3plus and a day later users will be prompted again, this is why it is important to disable the smartupgrade kit at the End of the Day for users not to get re-prompted during next day, since they would have already upgraded. In the event you cannot disable the smartupgrade kit by EOD then you should communicate within the message section (if prompted twice) to use update delay t and select "Next Update" during the second prompt. of the day.