AccessAllProtected crashes occur when a Domino process tries to map a segment of shared memory into the address space and there is no room in the virtual address space to map it. Once this occurs, Domino will panic with one of the below messages:
PANIC: Insufficient memory
PANIC: Cannot attach to shared memory region, due to insufficient access (probably owned by another user or group)
PANIC: AccessAllProtected() error (107 or 1B1 or 1F5) from MapSharedRegion on pool # of # pools.
Prior to this type of crash condition occurring, the following errors are typically reported in the console log:
Maximum number of memory segments that Notes can support has been exceeded
Error attaching to shared memory [loc=MapSharedRegion,error code=##,ptr=ffffffff] -- check Notes configuration variables
Once the errors are reported on the server console then the administrator should take the below actions to reduce the likelihood of the crash occurring:
1. Capture two manual NSDs:
2. Bring down the Domino server
3. Enable the following debug in the server's notes.ini:
4. Restart the Domino server
5. Setup memory dumps for collection every 4 hours to capture memory allocations
6. Submit the manually executed NSD(s) and console log file from the incident to Lotus Support
7. If the issue reoccurs then submit the NSD(s), console log and memory dumps from the incident to Lotus Support.
The Domino administrator can monitor for any of the above error messages reported to the Domino console by using Domino Domain Monitoring (DDM) probes to alert them once they occur so that the listed actions can be performed.
Monitor Domino stats (Windows only)
- Set up a Program Document to dump out the *MemFreeKBytes stat for each Domino process every 30 minutes" using the command: Show Stat Platform.Process.*.1.MemFreeKBytes
- When the stat reaches around 150-200 MB (150000 -200000), perform steps 1 -6.
Additional Information regarding the AccessAllProtected errors
107= Insufficient Memory
Domino 8.5.2 crashes with Error Message: PANIC: AccessAllProtected() error *** from MapSharedRegion on pool *** of *** pools
1B1= Cannot attach to shared memory region
1F5= Cannot attach to shared memory region, typically occurs on server startup
High usage of BLK_LOCAL_BLOCK caused iNotes server crash after upgrade to 8.5.2
Domino JVMs create extra AIX shared memory segments causing Domino server crash
Lotus Domino HTTP Server crashing daily - PANIC: Cannot attach to shared memory region
(Technote # 1252299)
Server crashes due to low memory condition after backup application runs
NSF_BACKUP_MEMORY_CONSTRAINED and NSF_BACKUP_MEMORY_LIMIT
(Notes/Domino wiki article)