This instrucctions are to syncronize a Blackberry Device with Lotus Notes 8.x using a USB cable.
The idea is to replicate contacts, ToDo List, Calendar and the Personal Journal.
This is not an online replication or push, it is a syncronization between the PC with Lotus Notes with Windows XP and the Blackberry device attached with an USB Cable. The Blackberry do not require a Data Transfer Service Plan to make this syncronization.
- Windows XP
- Lotus Notes 8.5 for Windows
- Blackberry Desktop Software 4.7 for Windows (Tested also with version 5.0)
We start with a configured and working Lotus Notes desktop installed on a Windows PC. Them we proced to install the Blackberry Desktop application.
Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software
- Start Blackberry Desktop setup program, select the language you want to see the installer and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the Installation Directory and you can choose "Typical" installation
- The "Integration Options" question will show up. Select "Integrate with a work email account"
- Select "for IBM Lotus Domino (typically used with IBM Lotus Notes)
- Them select "Next" and keep going with the installation.
If you already have the Blackberry Desktop Software installed and you didn't select "Integrate with a work email account" you can make a "Repair" of the installation on Windows Control Panel, "Add and Remove Software".
Once you have the Blackberry Desktop Software installed open the "Blackberry Desktop" by clicking it's icon.
- You will see a "Lotus Notes Login" windows. Add your password and check for the information to be correct.
- If you dont have a Blackberry Server, just click "No" on the "Error finding server" box.
- On the Blackberry Desktop Main Manu go to "Synchronize"
- On the "Synchronize" page click the "Synchronize" button to start the process.
- The sync process will start, it will syncronize the Address Book, Calendar, ToDo list and it will ask you where is your personal journal database (point it to the nsf file you use as personal journal)
If you make an update to any record on the device or Lotus notes. On the next synchronization it will ask you which record should survive on both devices. You can also configure some advanced options to always have a default device (the phone or Lotus Notes) to solve this sync conflics/updates.
This picture shows that I had made a change on a record. I
had change its category on Lotu s Notes and on the device it is not updated. Just select the record that you want to survive on both devices and click continue.
At th e end it will ask you to confirm the changed on the address book.
Inside the Blackberry Desktop Software you can also configure advanced replication options between Lotus Notes and the Blackberry Device.
- On the main manu selected "Synchronize"
- Them Configure->Synchronization.
- Click the "Synchronization" button.
It will load the Intellisync Menu. From this menu you can select advaced replication for the Calendar, Address Book, Taks and Personal Journal.
Blackberry Desktop Software Crash when synchronizing Lotus Notes Caledar.
ok, Blackberry Desktop Software isn't perfect. It has some flaws that had to be fixed by the RIM people.
If Blackberry Desktop Software crash when it try to sync the Lotus Notes Calendar, try disabling the Attendees sync:
- On the main manu selected "Synchronize" Them Configure->Synchronization.
- Click the "Synchronization" button.
- Selected calendar from Intellisync Menu and clicked "Advanced" them "Map Fields".
- Disabled the arrow between "Attendees <-> Meeting Attendees". Press "OK".
Blackberry Desktop Software say that Notes.INI is Invalid.
There used to be some problems that Blackberry Desktop could not find NOTES.INI file, even that it was selected the right directory. This problem was solved in newer (4.7 and 5.0) versions of Blackberry Desktop (according to this RIM site
If you get a similar problem:
- Read the info on this site:http://www.blackberry.com...
- I found that Blackberry Desktop told me that the
Notes.ini file was invalid, because I had an error on the Notes configuration
Ports. There was no ports (TCPIP or NETBEUI) selected on my Notes
So I went to "File->Preferences->Notes Ports" and
added the TCPIP port. Them I want to my localtion Profile and checked
that the port were included.
I had tried it now and sync works fine.
Even that I have Lotus Notes in Spanish and I had moved the Notes Data
inside "My Documents".