The defragmentation feature can only be run at startup using the steps outlined below. As of IBM Notes
Traveler 18.104.22.168 and later releases, the defrag
command will run automatically as part of database migration resulting from a server upgrade. Run the defrag
command approximately once a month for optimal system health.
What is the IBM Notes Traveler internal database?
Traveler maintains state information about each device in a Derby relational database. This information includes device information, device security and data that allows the IBM Notes
Traveler server to know if a device needs to sync. This database's files are stored on the IBM Notes
Traveler system in the data\traveler\ntsdb
directory. You can check the size of the folder and monitor changes as one way to determine how often to run the defrag
Do not delete the ntsdb
folder on the system. Deleting the state information forces all users to resync their data, and you will lose all security information (such as devices that have been denied access or wiped and any documents that have been banned from syncing).
To run a defragmentation, perform the following procedure:
- Shutdown the IBM Notes Traveler and the Domino® HTTP tasks on the server.
tell traveler quit
tell http quit
- Ensure both the HTTP and Traveler processes are completely stopped.
- Start IBM Notes Traveler using the defrag parameter
- The defrag command runs as the server starts. The server normally starts once the defrag operation completes.
Note: The defragmentation operation may take more than 30 minutes to complete depending on database size and system capabilities.
- If the Domino HTTP task is not started automatically by IBM Notes Traveler, then start it manually using the following command.
Running defragmentation on a scheduled basis (22.214.171.124 and later)
To run defragmentation on a scheduled basis, perform the following procedure:
Parent topic: Maintaining the IBM Notes Traveler database
- Add NTS_DEFRAG_INTERVAL_DAYS to the notes.ini file. For example, to set an interval of 30 days add:
- Restart the IBM Notes Traveler server. From that point on, if the IBM Notes Traveler server is restarted and it has been 30 days since the last defragmentation, then the defrag operation will run.
- To force a defragmentation, simply delete the parameter NTS_LAST_DEFRAG from the notes.ini file and restart the server. If NTS_DEFRAG_INTERVAL_DAYS is set and there is no last defragmentation timestamp, then the server will perform a defragmentation and reset the NTS_LAST_DEFRAG timestamp. For details on how to schedule a defragmentation of the database on versions earlier than 126.96.36.199, see IBM Traveler Database Defragmentation for Improved Performance .