The specifics on each of these steps is contained in the Installing
The recommended minimum configuration for a IBM Notes
Traveler HA Pool is as follows:
- Two Domino servers running IBM Notes Traveler
- One DB2® server or Microsoft™ SQL server (two database servers, if you want High Availability of the IBM Notes Traveler data)
- One server running the IP sprayer/load balancer
For specific information on hardware and software required for this release, see the detailed system requirements
Condensing the number of servers (for example, running the database server with a IBM Notes
Traveler server) can create single points of failure, as well as create performance bottlenecks.
Setting up a IBM Notes
Traveler High Availability pool consists of some initial infrastructure setup as well as steps for each individual server.
Initial infrastructure setup
To set up your infrastructure, perform the following procedure. You only need to perform these steps once.
- Deploy an enterprise database server and create the IBM Notes Traveler database on a separate server from the IBM Notes Traveler servers. For more information, see Deploying and configuring the enterprise database.
- Deploy the front end load balancer/IP sprayer. It's possible you may already have one that can be utilized. For more information, see Deploy an IP sprayer or load balancer.
- Update your firewall(s) or other network equipment to support the "sprayer to server" and "server to database" connections. See Planning your network topology for network port information.
Setup for individual servers
Complete the following setup steps for each IBM Notes
Traveler server to be added to the HA pool:
- Install IBM Domino server and validate its functionality. All Domino servers in the IBM Notes Traveler HA pool should be in the same Domino domain.
- Install IBM Notes Traveler and validate its functionality. See Installing the IBM Notes Traveler server for more information.
- Configure IBM Notes Traveler to use the enterprise database server and validate its functionality. For more information, see Configuring IBM Notes Traveler for enterprise database.
- Update the front end sprayer to include the new IBM Notes Traveler server in the load balancing/sprayer configuration.
- Update the external URL setting for the server to point to the front end sprayer. This will be a single URL access for all servers in the HA pool. For more information, see Setting the external server URL.
This step is not required on each server if you enable common configuration for all IBM Notes Traveler servers in the pool.
Optional setup considerations
The following setup considerations are optional but recommended:
Parent topic: High Availability (HA)
- Set up the server pool to share configuration information. For more information, see Setup for common configuration (optional).
- Set up and configure the enterprise database to be highly available.
- Set up and configure the front end sprayer to be highly available.
- Configure the IBM Notes Traveler servers for secure server to server communication. For more information, see Enable server to server secure communications (optional).
Note: There will be a performance impact to enabling secure sockets for server to server communications. Depending upon your network configuration, this step may not be required.