Problems connecting devices to IBM Notes Traveler with Session Authentication enabled
It is possible for various device types to have problems connecting to IBM
® Traveler when Domino
® Session Authentication is enabled, as many devices do not support HTML form-based authentication. Form-based authentication is enabled by default on the Domino
server if you have Session Authentication enabled. If you are having problems connecting devices to IBM Notes
Traveler, read the remainder of this section to ensure HTML form-based authentication is disabled for the IBM Notes
Traveler server URLs.
Checking to see if form-based authentication is enabled
To see if form-based authentication is enabled for the IBM Notes
Traveler URLs, use an Internet Explorer browser to navigate to the following URLs on your server:
Or, if SSL is enabled:
If form-based authentication is enabled, you will see an HTML form for authentication instead of a pop up window. If form-based authentication is enabled for any of these URLs, please read the following instructions on how to disable HTML form-based authentication for the IBM Notes
Traveler server URL paths.
Disabling form-based authentication for the IBM Notes Traveler URL paths
In order to disable form-based authentication and enable basic authentication you must use Internet Site documents. Once Internet Site documents are enabled and an Internet Site document for web protocol is created, restart the server and the IBM Notes
Traveler server will add the correct Session Override rule upon startup. To manually create the override rule, perform the following procedure:
- On the server document Basics tab, enable Load internet configurations from Server\Internet Sites documents and save the server document.
- From Configuration, Web, Internet Sites, select Add Internet Site, Web and fill in the following fields:
- Descriptive name for this site: Enter any name you wish.
- Organization: The Domino organization.
- Host names or addresses mapped to this site: host name and/or IP address of this IBM Notes Traveler server.
- Domino servers that host this site: The Domino server name of this IBM Notes Traveler server.
- On the Configuration tab, change any desired configuration parameters.
- On the Domino Web Engine tab, enable Session Authentication with the same parameters as used in the Server Document.
- On the Security tab, make any additional security configuration changes including SSL settings.
- Save and close the Internet Site document.
Note: If you restart the Domino server at this point, the IBM Notes Traveler server should automatically complete any remaining configuration changes. Review the remaining steps to verify proper configuration.
Open the Internet Site document created previously and select Web Site... > Create Rule. Fill in the following fields:
Restart the Domino server if you have not already done so.
Retry the previously listed URLs. All should now generate a 401 pop up challenge.
- Description: Enter any description you wish.
- Type of rule: Override Session Authentication.
- Incoming URL pattern: /traveler*.
For additional information on using Internet Site documents please see the appropriate Domino
documentation: IBM Domino Information Center
Parent topic: Configuring IBM Notes Traveler server