Upgrade considerationsAdded by IBM on July 29, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|Follow these steps when upgrading the IBM® Notes® Traveler server.
Note: For detailed system requirements, see this article: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038193.
In general, you should upgrade both Domino
® and IBM Notes
Traveler at the same time. Upgrading in this way is required for major releases. For maintenance releases, ensure you are operating at the latest available maintenance level. For information on moving the server to new hardware or to a new OS, see Moving IBM Notes Traveler to a new server
- Shut down both Domino and IBM Notes Traveler.
- Remove TRAVELER from the ServerTasks list in the notes.ini file to prevent Traveler from starting. Leaving TRAVELER in the notes.ini can result in errors on the console due to a mismatch in version levels. These errors will continue to display until both products are upgraded.
- Install the new Domino server.
- Start Domino and allow it to complete any migration tasks.
- Shut down the Domino Server.
- Install the new IBM Notes Traveler server (it automatically adds TRAVELER back to notes.ini)
- Start the Domino server, and IBM Notes Traveler starts automatically.
There are additional configuration items to consider after upgrading the IBM Notes
Parent topic: Installing the IBM Notes Traveler server
- As of release 188.8.131.52 and later, all network traffic is now over HTTP or HTTPS. As a result, HTTP threads may be insufficient for your needs. See Tuning performance of the server for details.
- If all Windows Mobile and Nokia devices are running IBM Notes Traveler Client 8.5.2 or later, then the TCP Push port (8642 by default) can be disabled. To disable it, set Port for TCP connections to 0 on the IBM Traveler tab of the server document.
- As of release 184.108.40.206 and later, it is no longer necessary to modify the Apple.xml for proper configuration of Apple devices. Instead, review the following two bullets to be sure your server is configured correctly, then delete Apple.xml and allow it to be recreated from the AppleTemplate.xml file. This file is not automatically migrated, as it may have been modified by the Administrator.
- For version 8.5.3 and later releases it is not necessary to use DirectoryAssistance for use with the Corporate lookup function. Corporate lookup will be executed against the user's mail server, however the IBM Notes Traveler server can still be used as the lookup server if desired. See Configuring corporate look up for devices.
- As of IBM Notes Traveler 9.0, the Windows™ Mobile and Nokia clients are no longer shipped as part of the server install package. If these clients already exist on the server, they will be preserved and can still be used. If this is a new setup and Windows Mobile and Nokia clients are desired, they are available for download from Fix Central. For more information, refer to this technote.