What is mobile device management?
Mobile device management (MDM) software is designed to help manage and administrate large scale deployments of mobile devices. This can include being able to perform tasks such as device configuration, enforce device security policies, monitor the device, install applications on the device, and perform other general tasks such as auditing and reporting. There are many different mobile device management software vendors in the market, all offering a variety of solutions and capabilities.
Why use a mobile device management solution in conjunction with Lotus Notes Traveler?
Lotus Notes Traveler is not a mobile device management server. It does offer some basic mobile device management capabilities, mainly in the context of being able to apply security related settings on the device. The fully fledged MDM software provides a much greater breadth and depth of capabilities. It is however important to note that it is not necessary to use any mobile device management software in order to install and use Lotus Notes Traveler. There are advantages to using mobile device management software in conjunction with Lotus Notes Traveler though, such as:
- Automate the install and configuration of Lotus Notes Traveler for the users.
- Self service portal for end users.
- Jailbreak and root detection.
- Automatic detection and blocking of non compliant or compromised device.
- Application management, including enterprise apps store and automatic push of device policies.
- Easy implementation of a wider range of configuration policies, including the ability to control device settings that cannot be managed using just Lotus Notes Traveler (for example, WiFi and VPN).
- Additional controls for email access.
If you want to be able to perform management tasks of your user's mobile devices beyond the capabilities offered natively by Lotus Notes Traveler, you should consider using additional mobile device management software in conjunction with Lotus Notes Traveler.
Further reading on mobile device management
The following articles provides more information on choosing and using a mobile device management solution with Lotus Notes Traveler: