This page summarizes some of the important and known changes for Lotus Notes/Domino Server from 6.5.x/7.0.x/8.0.x to 8.5, We primarily focus on 6.5.x to 8.5.x because the upgrading from higher versions have less considerations. While it is impossible to cover every scenario and every aspect of the upgrade process because each Lotus Notes/Domino deployment has different characters according their business objectives Any successful upgrading and migration is based detail planning, testing and execution within your own unique Lotus Notes/Domino environment.
In IBM Lotus Notes and Domino 8 Deployment Guide, SG24-7506-00, Appendix A Considerations for upgrading from Notes and Domino 6.5.x to 8 has a detailed discussion of different upgrade considerations from 6.5.x to Domino 8.0.x servers. The considerations are still valid and will not be repeated. Please refer to the IBM Redbook IBM Lotus Notes and Domino 8 deployment Guide at: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247506.html
Lotus Domino Server Upgrade
This section focuses on Server side upgrading considerations. If you are running a pre-6.5 release of Lotus Notes/Domino, you must upgrade to at least Lotus Notes/Domino 6.5 before installing and upgrading to Lotus Notes/Domino 8.5.
It needs to be noted that new templates are introduced with Domino 8.0 and 8.5 while other templates will be obsolete. It’s recommended to review the current template strategy and decide if obsolete templates can securely be deleted from the server.
New Templates with 8.0/8.5
Lotus Notes 8.5 Mail Template MAIL85.NTF is used for both Lotus Notes and Lotus iNotes. The following features rely on the new template: Mail header, Addressing (Recent Contacts), Vertical preview, Conversations Mail recall, Out of office improvements.
It is essential to upgrade user’s Lotus Notes clients prior to the user’s mail template upgrade. It is supported to use a pre-Lotus 8.5 Notes client to access Lotus Domino 8.5 mail template, but you must be aware of possible known issues, verify these known issues in Supported configurations for Notes and Domino 8.5 (http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=899&uid=swg21358406). It is not recommended to use Lotus Notes 6.5.x client to access a Lotus Domino 8.5 template on Domino 8.5 server. If you have users who delegate (such as a personal assistant) mail access, you need to upgrade both delegate and user Lotus Notes clients, before upgrading either of their mail templates.
Technote: What new features in Notes 8 require a Domino 8 server or mail template? (#1282123)
Technote: Various desktop policy settings pushed to Notes clients after Domino Directory template (pubnames.ntf) is upgraded to 8.0 or 8.0.1 (#1299046)
Lotus 32 bit Domino server to Lotus 64 bit Domino server upgrading
The Lotus Notes/Domino view and full index facility is platform dependent and Domino architecture specific. It is critical to rebuild all Lotus Notes/Domino database index facilities when migrating from one hardware platform to other, changing and upgrading operation system and upgrading from 32-bit Domino server to 64-bit Domino server architecture.
On AIX and Windows platform, after upgrading Lotus 32-bit Domino server to 64-bit Domino server is completed, the following is recommended:
- All existing currently built views must be discarded and rebuilt
- All existing full text indexes must be discarded and rebuilt
For Domino 8.5 server on AIX, Lotus 32-bit Domino server is no longer shipped, but is supported. You can download it following the instructions at this link: How to download Domino 8.5 AIX 32-bit.
You may review the following technical documents before upgrading to Domino 64-bit.
Title: FAQ: 64-bit version of Domino
Doc #: 1296452
Title: Support for Lotus Domino Server and companion products on 64-bit operating systems (OS)
Doc #: 1328164
Domino 85 Feature Upgrade Considerations
You must understand Domino 8.5 feature requirements and limitations and ensure proper preparations before enabling these features.
Lotus Notes ID Vault
1. Lotus Notes clients must be at least release 8.5 and vault servers must be at least 8.5.
2. At least one server in user home server cluster must be at least 8.5 for vault server, but does not have to be a vault server. The Domino Directory administration server must run 8.5 but does not have to be a vault server.
3. Pre Lotus Notes 8.5 clients are not supported for this feature.
4. Smartcard-enabled IDs cannot be stored in a vault.
5. Lotus iNotes user ID files can be stored in a vault, but currently there is no support for synchronization of IDs in user mail files.
6. All replicas of a vault must be located within a single Domino® domain and all vault users must have home servers in that domain.
7. Creation of the cross-certificates that are needed to establish vault trust and password reset authority requires access to a parent certifier ID file of the user IDs to be stored in the vault; you cannot use the CA process when creating these certificates. Additionally, performing certificate authority key rollover on these certifier IDs is not supported.
Domino Attachment and Object Service
1. It requires at least Lotus Domino 8.5 server;
2. It requires transaction logging and ODS51;
3. You must validate backup solutions with DAOS repository and transaction logs;
4. You must review backup/ restore strategy and options prior to implementation;
5. Pre Lotus Notes 8.5 clients will not recognize DAOS. The result is that pre Lotus Notes 8.5 client will not see Enable DAOS’s option under File -> Application -> Properties.
File Server roaming users
1. It is only supported on Lotus Domino 8.5 server and Lotus Notes 8.5 standard configuration client;
2. It does not support for Lotus Notes 8.5 basic client and pre 8.5 Lotus Notes client;
3. It is not supported in a Citrix environment, refer Are roaming users on a Citrix platform supported?
Tips: Before upgrading the user to Notes 8.5 standard configuration Client with file server roaming capability, it is essential to remove previous Notes basic roaming function. After all Lotus Notes client upgrades are completed, enable the user for new file server roaming function. If Lotus Notes clients are upgraded, remove basic roaming status for the users, then enable user to new file server roaming.
Title: Roaming client upgraded from Notes pre-8.5 Client or Notes basic configuration, to Notes 8.5 Client, standard configuration, Eclipse preferences do not roam
Doc #: 1331163
Title: A roaming user upgraded to Notes 8.5 Client, standard configuration, will only have the extended databases added to the Roaming User Applications folder
Doc #: 1331156
The Notes Administrator has enabled Notes Shared Login in a policy for users. The user's Notes IDs are now locked with the Windows password using the PC's SID and Microsoft's Data Protection API (DPAPI). This presents numerous issues especially in an environment where the users are mobile - they use their Notes ID on more than one PC, and more than one NOTES ID is used on a single Windows profile.
1. It is only supported on Lotus Domino 8.5 server and Lotus Notes 8.5 standard configuration client;
2. It does not support for pre 8.5 Lotus Notes client;
3. It is only supported on Microsoft Windows. Linux and Mac are currently under consideration for a future release.
Review “Using Notes shared login to suppress password prompts” section in the Lotus Domino 8.5 administrator help.
Upgrading to ODS 51
1. It provides potential improvements for I/O and folder optimization, design compression, document compression, and it is DAOS requirement;
2. For new ODS enabled database on Domino 8.5 server, it is transparent to all Lotus Notes client release.
1. It is highly recommended you ensure Domino server is stable after upgrading Domino server before upgrading new ODS feature for the databases.
2. A Lotus Notes/Domino database created with an On Disk Structure (ODS) specific extension (for example .NS6 or .NS7) is not upgraded by the Compact task even though the extension has been renamed to .NSF, for further details refer to Databases created with an ODS-specific extension are not upgraded by Compact task.
New policy features
1. It is supported for dynamic group policies.
2. Domino administrators can use administrative policies to set or to enforce mail settings for Lotus iNotes users.
3. Pre 8.5 Lotus Notes client will ignore the new introduced features.
Lotus iNotes upgrade
Newer Domino server releases support older Lotus iNotes mail templates; however, newer Lotus iNotes templates on previous Lotus Domino server releases are NOT supported.
Title: Domino Web Access: Supported template/server configurations
Doc #: 1155931
While it is not necessary to rewrite your pre-existing applications, it is recommended to review the application and recompiled/linked with Lotus Domino 8.5 library. You need recompile all LotusScript to check for LotusScript issues and build as new object files.
Once your application has been tested, and the application server upgraded, you can consider modifying the application to take advantage of new application development functionality in Domino 8.5.
Hardware and operation system considerations for Lotus Notes client and Domino Server
In most cases, Lotus Domino server and client upgrading will be in-place upgrading from existing hardware. You need to check whether all computers have necessary and required hardware resources, Memory/RAM, CPU, hard disk space, and operation system with required service pack. You can find hardware and requirements in the Release Notes in a Help directory of your 85 clients.
Detailed System Requirements: Domino 8.5
Detailed System Requirements: Domino 8.5 for i (hardware)
Detailed System Requirements: Lotus Domino 8.5 for i (software)
Detailed System Requirements: Notes, Domino Administrator and Domino Designer 8.5
Detailed System Requirements: Lotus iNotes 8.5
Supported configurations for Notes and Domino 8.5
For Lotus Domino Server
32 bit Domino server can run on existing 32-bit hardware and 64 bit Domino server requires 64 bit hardware. Generally, the latest Lotus Domino server release is improved on performance for existing features and new features are added. This is true for Domino 8.5 release as comparing with pre-release. For existing features, it will be more efficient and will be able to accommodate more users and applications. But more considerations for using existing hardware and operation to enable new features, beside to meet the requirement, and it is vital to verify that it would perform in a acceptable level of performance when enable new features. Due to diversifying user environment, this only can be verified in your environment. Piloting and load testing are key planning and verification procedure.
For Lotus Notes client
The Lotus Notes client application will be one of many running applications for the majority of users. In case a workstation has poor memory resources and it is not planned to upgrade hardware of this machine, you may consider deploying a Lotus Notes basic client for these users, instead of Louts Notes standard client.
If your organization has the asset management software, like Tivoli Director, to gather information about workstation hardware, you need to gather these data and analyze them. You should check the company's workstation hardware to verify if compiling with the IBM Lotus Notes hardware and operation system requirements.
If your company uses standard image to install new PCs, you may ask a person responsible for preparing new image to include the Lotus Notes 85 so that new computers will come with the Lotus Notes 85 client installed.