iNotes integration support with the IBM Notes Browser Plug-in enables users to access their mail files, and Notes database and documents, on a browser. Following are the integration scenarios between iNotes 9.0 and IBM Notes Browser Plug-in:
Find the iNotes server URL in the Notes Browser Plug-in
- An icon on the Notes Browser Plug-in's menu bar allows you to launch iNotes
- The menu item "File -> Open iNotes" allows you to launch iNotes
- Use "Action -> Forward" for the Notes 'Forward' action, available for any database document, to create a memo and open it in iNotes
- Double-clicking the workspace icon for a user's Mail application, or using a Mail bookmark, will launch iNotes to the user's mailfile
- Besides the "Action -> Forward" option, applications can have their own mechanism to forward a document, like via LotusScript or formula language. A good example of this is the "Forward as bookmark" action, available in discussion databases. IBM has tried to handle some of the most commonly used ways of creating a "Forward" mail action, but results could vary, depending on the script used within each application
- iNotes 9.0 also has a button to launch the Notes Browser Plug-in, if it's installed
The Notes Browser Plug-in uses the current user's location document, specifically the "Home Mail Server" field (2nd tab in the location document), to find out what that server's HTTP URL would be. It queries the server information to obtain this.
If you are using a different iNotes server, there are some Notes.INI settings that you can use to prevent the Notes Browser Plug-in from determining the iNotes server path. They are (in order of precedence):
INOTES_REDIRECTOR_PATH= If you are using a redirector, then use this to specify the redirector path as you would type it in the browser's URL bar
INOTES_SERVER_PATH= Specify this as the direct iNotes HTTP URL, if you are not using the redirector.
Only 1 of the above 2 INI settings can be used. You do not need to specify either of these settings if you want Notes to calculate the iNotes path.
Prevent users from accessing iNotes from Notes Browser Plug-in
In case you do not want your users to access iNotes from the Notes Browser Plug-in, you can simply add the following value to their notes.ini file (administrators can push this via policy):
BrowserAllowiNotesMail=0https:// or http:// for accessing iNotes?
Accessing iNotes via https:// or http:// depends on how your iNotes is setup (to use SLL or not), which you can easily find out by looking at the iNotes URL in the browser's address bar. If you are using https:
, then you would not have any issues launching iNotes from the Notes Browser Plug-in, as it is using https: to form the iNotes URL. In case you are using http:// to access iNotes, please add the following INI variable in your notes.ini file: