Lotus Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 Release Notice
August 8, 2013
Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 is a scheduled Fix Pack of low-risk, high-impact fixes to help customers safely avoid known issues. IBM strongly recommends that customers running Notes/Domino 8.5.3 upgrade to this latest Fix Pack since it addresses a small percentage of defects that impact the broadest set of customers. Fix Packs are released periodically between Maintenance Releases to provide a greater level of stability for customer environments. They go through the same level of fix, regression and interoperability testing that occurs with Maintenance Releases. Fix Packs are always cumulative and contain all of the fixes from previous ones.
Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 addresses defects in both the Client and Server. All Fix Packs are language independent and may be applied on any language version of Notes/Domino 8.5.3.
NOTE: The installer for Domino Interim Fixes (hotfixes) built 9 July 2012 or later requires a Perl 5.6.0 or later distribution on Unix & Linux platforms. For details, see technote 1600910.
For download options see technote 4032242 - "Download options for Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Fix Packs". Note: Fix Packs will not be distributed on physical media (DVD/CD).
• If you have Notes 8.5.3 Basic Configuration or Notes/Admin/Designer (Basic edition) 8.5.3 installed, use the Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 4 Basic install.
• If you have Notes 8.5.3 Standard Configuration or Notes/Admin/Designer (Standard edition) 8.5.3 installed, use the Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 4 Standard install.
Decision to upgrade
Customers unable to upgrade to later Releases should install Fix Packs to benefit from later fixes made to the product. By providing a small number of fixes, customers are able to accept fewer code changes with lower risk, allowing them to "patch" an older Maintenance Release until a more extensive upgrade to the current Release is possible. We encourage customers to evaluate Notes / Domino 9.0 Social Edition and the upcoming 9.0.1 release scheduled for Q4.
While Fix Packs provide important fixes and IBM strongly recommends applying the latest Fix Pack available for a Maintenance Release, IBM still recommends that customers upgrade to the latest Release + Fix Pack combination to receive the broadest set of fixes available. You will receive more overall fixes with a later Release + Fix Pack than with a set of Fix Packs on top of an earlier Maintenance Release. For more information, see technote #1368141-"Differences between Notes/Domino Maintenance Releases, Fix Packs and Cumulative Client Hotfixes."
• The JVM in Notes & Domino was updated to 1.6 SR14 in this release to address security issues.
• Traveler Pre-requisite: 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 on a Domino Traveler server, requires Traveler 8.5.3 UP2 IF4 to address a Traveler logging issue (RSSN99HJRQ) with JVM 1.6 SR14
Fixes contained in this Fix Pack
A plus symbol (+) before the SPR number indicates a fix for a regression bug. A regression bug is an issue that was introduced in a Maintenance Release but did not exist in previous releases of that code stream. For example, a bug that appears in 8.5.3 but did not exist in 8.5.2 is a regression.
If an APAR exists for the corresponding SPR, the APAR number will appear in parentheses next to the SPR number. For example, SPR #nnnnnnnnnn (LO12345).
What follows is a subset of the most important issues addressed in this fix pack. For the full list of fixes, please visit the fixes by release view for the description of each fix in this Fix Pack, including platform specific information.
Top 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 Fix List descriptions:
- + SPR# SHEZ97GH6E(LO75199) Installs missing Windows runtime library that could prevent other applications from launching such as IBM Access Manager 7.1, IBM i Access, Citrix ICA Client, & Symantec Endpoint after installing Client 8.5.3 FP4. This was a regression introduced in 8.5.3 FP4. (technote 1637068)
- SPR# PANN99NFP3 - Updated Time Zone information in ICU4J based on tzdata2013d including Jerusalem and Casablanca as shown here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/dst/olson_table.html Please ensure your operating system is patched with latest timezone information to align with these changes.
- SPR# MCMA8ZVNRV(LO72562) Fixes Notes Client Crashes On Startup After Upgrading To Adobe Pdf Maker 10.1.4.38 (technote 1616935)
- SPR# SJCN8GXGKW(LO70212) Fixes issue were when sending a mail may the Notes client may crash under some addressing conditions
- SPR# SFBI8KBHB6(LO62736) Fixed an intermittent Notes client crash when updating with a calendar notification. (technote 1608886)
- SPR# SODY8RSJH9(LO67544) Fixed an issue that the hover icon would not appear when the mouse hovered over a live text annotation on a secondary display
- SPR# PANN8HDJVB(LO65662) Fixed an intermittent Notes Client hang issue after getting java script errors.
- SPR# MWID8RGK6C(LO67305) - Fixed an intermittent Notes client crash when opening certain messages. (technote 1607488)
- SPR# RGAU8KCHMZ(LO62692) This fix prevents Domino Administrator from crashing when checking database properties on a remote server connected via slow WAN connection.
- SPR# JSSI88X82D(LO54534) Fixes error message "0x1B1 - version mismatch between executable and preexisting shared memory versions" when launching Domino server.
- SPR# VPRS8TWTSE(LO69140) Prevent a Server crash associated with passing an invalid database list to NSFGetDBChanges.(technote 1596387)
- SPR# KJKJ9468AY(LO74041) Fixed a Windows Domino 64-bit Server Lotusscript OLE crash. Domino in this environment was not handling the size of parameters being passed in.
- SPR# JPMS92FR9L(LO72807) Prevent Server POP3 crash due to high handle usage in BLK_NSF_MIME_BUFFER (technote 1631743)
- SPR# JCOL8LBJEF(LO63526) Fixes Domino Server Crash On SMTP during Tnef Conversion
- SPR# GRCE8JWMVR(LO68318) Fixes issue where Mailfile Preferences become corrupt when the rich text signature grows larger than ~32k.(technote 1644253)
- +SPR# RDJS94GTVD(LO73748) - Fixes Domino crash on 64 bit platforms, caused by having a LotusScript agent that makes C API calls to Operating System APIs iteratively, such as in a loop. This was a regression introduced in 8.5.2 FP3.(technote 1624936)
- +SPR# PJON8SNW24(LO68332) Fixes a problem where parentheses "()" where being stripped out of user names when addressing a mail. This regression was introduced in 8.5.2
- +SPR# CTSI8T9S26(LO68707) Fixed problem with accepting valid Notes ID passwords containing special characters. This regression was introduced in 8.5.1.
- SPR# BBSZ8TPDSU(LO68985) Fixed problem preventing iNotes User with ID stored in Mail file from from being renamed in ID Vault.
- SPR# TMAI8N6HJC(LO65126) Fixes the error "A Problem has occurred which may have caused the current operation to fail." that occurs when pressing the Enter Key after changing mail format.
- +SPR# CTSI8WHL6X(LO70718) - Fixed a situation where upgrading a user with an existing archive would result in errors when attempting to archive a document in the newly upgraded client. This regression was introduced in 8.5.3 FP1.