These are the rough instructions on how to install and configure the Lotus Notes Smart Upgrade service feature on to a Windows Vista / Windows 7 that already has Notes installed but at a lower version level than Notes 8.5.3.
- Copy file SUService.exe to the Notes installation location on the target machine. By default this directory is "C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes".
This can be done either directly on the machine or remotely. An Administrative account is typically required to write to subdirectories under the "C:\Program Files" location. The file SUService.exe will be installed as part of Notes 8.5.3 and can be copied directly from an installed version of Notes 8.5.3 to a network share, USB drive or other media.
- Create and configure the service on the target machine.
There are several ways to manually create services. This can be done either directly on the machine or remotely. Windows ships with a built in utility that allows service creation locally or remotely if the user is a Administrator of the machine. SC is the utility (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490995.aspx , http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192 ) To create the Notes Smart Upgrade service locally an Administrative user would type in the following command into a command prompt.
sc create LNSUSvc binPath= "C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes\SUService.exe" type= own type= interact start= auto error= normal displayName= "Lotus Notes Smart Upgrade Service"
To create the same service remotely using the sc tool the Administrator would need to type the following command into a command prompt (where RemoteMachine is the name of the machine)
sc \\RemoteMachine create LNSUSvc binPath= "C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes\SUService.exe" type= own type= interact start= auto error= normal displayName= "Lotus Notes Smart Upgrade Service"
- Once the service has been successfully created, it must be started prior to use. The SC tool can also be used to start a service, both locally and remotely. The following command will start the Lotus Notes Smart Upgrade service.
Locally: sc start LNSUSvc
Remotely: sc \\RemoteMachine start LNSUSvc
- To verify that the service is created and started successfully, the SC utility can be leveraged as well.
Locally: sc query LNSUSvc
Remotely: sc \\RemoteMachine query LNSUSvc
- Now that the target machine is ready to start the upgrade, the SUSetRunAsWizard would be run and the SURunAs.exe upgrade package would be generated as normal, using the SUSetRunAsWizard.exe from the Notes 8.5.3 Administrator install kit.
Jeff Mitchell | 14 October 2011 10:39:42 AM ET | Littleton, MA | Comments (409)