The first step in creating the Office Supplies application is to create an IBM Web Experience Factory project. If you have never created a Web Experience Factory project before, run the tutorial that ships with the product. By creating a sample web application project from the tutorial, you make sure that your environment is configured correctly. You can access this tutorial from the Welcome tab in the Designer as shown in the figure below.
To develop web applications and portlets using Web Experience Factory, you must have an access to an application server (for example Tomcat, IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition, or IBM WebSphere Application Server). Web Experience Factory Designer 7.0.1 comes preconfigured with WebSphere Application Server Community Edition. You are not required to have access to an IBM WebSphere Portal server during the development process. However, if you are developing portlets that require Portal's features, such as cooperative portlets, you cannot test your portlet without a Portal server.
To create the Office Supplies project, perform these steps:
- Click File -> New -> WebSphere Portlet Factory Project from the Web Experience Factory Designer menu.
- Enter OfficeSupplies as the project name. Click Next.
- The feature sets page displays. You do not need to add any feature sets for this project. Click Next.
- The deployment configuration page displays. For this sample, you do not need to configure any project deployment because Web Experience Factory Designer is preconfigured with WebSphere Application Server Community Edition.
- If you choose not to use WebSphere Application Server Community Edition as your application server or want to connect to a Portal server, refer to the Web Experience Factory wiki deployment topics for details about how to configure your project deployment.
- You are prompted with a question on whether or not you want to publish your project now.
- To run your sample, you must publish your project. However, you do not have to do it right now.
If you choose to publish your project later, you can publish it by right-clicking your project and selecting Publish Application...
You have created the Office Supplies project. Go to 10.2 Office Supplies service provider
to continue to the next step of creating the office supplies service provider.
You can download the sample code from 10.6 The Office Supplies application sample code
Parent topic: 10.0 IBM Web Experience Factory