Save a chat as a text file that gets stored in a new activity.
Before you begin
® client must be enabled to save chats or the Add Chat Transcript to Activities
icon will not be displayed in the action bar of the chat window. If you do not see the icon, contact your administrator.
About this task
If you are engaged in a chat that you would like to preserve and make available to others, you can save it to a new activity.
- From the chat window, click the Add Chat Transcript to Activities icon.
- Optional: Edit the title of the chat entry by editing the Name field.
The entry is named "Chat: " followed by the names of the chat participants by default.
- Type tags for the chat file in the Tags field. Type a comma between tags.
Tags are keywords that you use to classify information to make it easier to search. Tags must be entered as single words. For example: human_resources, payroll, event-planning.
- Select the Private check box if you do not want the chat to be viewable by other activity members.
- Click New to create a new activity.
- Type a name for the activity in the Activity field.
- In the Authors field, type a comma after your chat partner's name, and then add the names of people you want to add as authors to the activity. You can also remove your chat partner's name if you do not want the person to be a member of the new activity. If you want to add readers, click Add Readers, and then type the names into the Readers field. If you want to add owners, click Add Owners, and then type the names into the Owners field.
Optional: Type a description of the purpose of the activity in the Activity goal field.
Optional: Enter tags that classify the activity.
Optional: Click Add Due Date to specify a date by which this activity should be completed.
- Authors can add content to an activity.
- Owners can add and delete content and manage the activity.
- Readers can read activity content but cannot post new content.
The message, "Chat added to activity: <activity_name>," is displayed. If you did not remove your chat partner's name from the Authors field when creating the new activity, nor mark the chat private, the message is displayed in the chat window for both participants to see. You and your partner can click the activity name to open the activity. If you did remove your chat partner's name from the Authors field of the new activity or marked the chat private, the message is displayed in the message bar at the bottom of your chat window. It is not displayed in the message bar of the window of other chat participants.
What to do next
You can open the activity from your Activity dashboard to view the chat file.
Parent topic: Activities Sametime Feature